Interrail or Swiss Pass for 5 days in Zug

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2016 at 23:49:30 #809510

We are 4 adults and a 3 year old child who plan to travel to Switzerland in early August for 4 nights/5 days. We will base ourselves at Zug and would travel to Lucerne, Interlake area. Can we use Interrail pass as permanent French resident (but non-EU citizen) within Switzerland? For our Indian parents, we plan to buy the Eurail/Swiss Pass for 4 days. I understand child below 4 years travel free – please confirm? On the 5th day we just plan to travel from Zug to Zurich airport – how much would that cost?

Would a regional pass make more sense compared to Interrail or Swiss consecutive 4 day pass?

Thanks to clarify please.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2016 at 7:06:01 #853347

Hello rajdeepc, welcome to MySwissAlps!

An Interrail pass can be used if you have a European passport/ID. Otherwise, you qualify for a Eurail Pass. Please find all details here: myswissalps.com/ multicountrypasses.

If you just travel from France to Switzerland and back, an Interrail or Eurail Pass is not the right choice in most cases. Swiss rail passes cover more, and offer better discounts on cable cars. Be sure to download the maps from all our pass pages, so you can compare the options and see what fits your plans.

A regional pass would not work; the Tell-Pass, for example, doesn’t cover anything beyond Interlaken or north of Zug. Either a Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card will work. Additionally, you would need a train ticket to France. The below pages provide all information to make a choice:

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2016 at 10:19:53 #853348

Thank you Arno for your response.

Me and my wife have residency permit in France so I guess we can use that as an ID for Interrail pass. We travel to Paris to Zurich and back to Paris by air so our pass usage is off course limited to inter Swiss travel.

I think we can busy 2 Interrail pass and 2 Swiss Pass for 4 days. Do we need to do reservation for our travel from Zug to Interlaken?

Also, how much it would cost for Zug to Zurich airport by train as we will not have the pass on the 5th day when we fly out?

Thanks to reply please.

Regards,

Rajdeep

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 June 2016 at 10:32:01 #853349

Hi Rajdeep,

Note that you do not need a Swiss Pass, but a Swiss Travel Pass, which is something different. I don’t think you need both an Interrail Pass and a Swiss Travel Pass. Just one of those is sufficient, but perhaps I am missing the point. Did you download the maps to see which pass fits your needs best?

Ticket prices can be found as explained here. Zug to Zurich airport costs CHF 19.

I would recommend to take the train from Paris to Zurich. It’s more comfortable and easier than flying, and at least as fast. Please see the last link in my previous post.

• The thread ‘Interrail or Swiss Pass for 5 days in Zug’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.