Is hiking better from Murren than Wengen?

Is hiking better from Murren than Wengen?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
magentaspeaker
magentaspeaker
30 posts
May 25, 2012 - 8:23 PM
I was reading a guide book and it said that Murren had better hiking than Wengen. I suppose that means easier access to more hikes.

Does it really matter if you stay in Wengen or Murren? Interlakan looks convenient for hikes.

Would it take about a hour to get from Wengen to Murren with waiting times?

How long would it take to get from Wengen to Sch Platte to start the hike to First?
Annika
Annika
4424 posts
expert &
May 27, 2012 - 4:36 AM
Hi magentaspeaker! In my opinion, Mürren and Wengen are pretty similar in terms of views, access and hiking options. I don't know where exactly you plan to hike. If it's in the Jungfrau region only, towns as Mürren, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald would be fine. If you want to cover other areas too, such as the lake areas between Thun and Brienz, I'd recommend a more central location such as Interlaken or Wilderswil. Please consult the general timetable and the cable cars/mountain railways timetables to find out about traveling times.

By the way, I'll remove your similar question in the Hiking section, as I think your questions on a good resort for your stay can be discussed here, right?
DaveB
DaveB
18 posts
May 27, 2012 - 9:07 AM
In my opinion, both are great locations to visit.
If you are planning on spending some time in either Murren or Wengen, I would recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen. Its an easy walk, 10 minutes or less, if you stay at any hotel in town to the train station that will take you to Wengen. Then on to Kleine Scheidegg for the ride up to Jungfrau. For Murren, you could take the gondola up from Lauterbrunnen then either hike or take the train. Or you can catch the post bus to the Schilthorn Gondola. As for the hike from First to Sch. Platte again, a train from Lauterbrunnen will get you there.. Have a great time..

Dave
magentaspeaker
magentaspeaker
30 posts
May 27, 2012 - 1:32 PM
DaveB said: In my opinion, both are great locations to visit.
If you are planning on spending some time in either Murren or Wengen, I would recommend staying in Lauterbrunnen. Its an easy walk, 10 minutes or less, if you stay at any hotel in town to the train station that will take you to Wengen. Then on to Kleine Scheidegg for the ride up to Jungfrau. For Murren, you could take the gondola up from Lauterbrunnen then either hike or take the train. Or you can catch the post bus to the Schilthorn Gondola. As for the hike from First to Sch. Platte again, a train from Lauterbrunnen will get you there.. Have a great time..
Dave

i was thinking about Lauterbrunnen too. Wengen has the better views, but I also plan to be out hiking so I won't be staying in Wengen until later in the day. It's only about 20 extra min down to Lauterbrunner when I want to go somewhere.

Wilderswil looks like a central location too. You can go towards Grindewald or Murren/Wengen.
Olga
Olga
461 posts
top member
May 27, 2012 - 2:32 PM
From experience I can tell you that Wilderswil is a central location. Like a spider in a web you're in the middle of lots of possibilities, Interlaken is nearby and it's a lovely village with nice restaurants and plenty places to stay. We have stayed in Wilderswil many times (just got back...), never a dull moment!

I know, it's hard to choose. Hopefully you'll find what you are looking for.

Have a nice trip,
DaveB
DaveB
18 posts
May 27, 2012 - 4:28 PM
I just love the Lauterbrunnen Valley..Although, if you are travelling by train, I never thought of basing out of Wilderswill. Could be an option as well.. But, if you do stay in Lauterbrunnen, take a meal at the Hotel Jungfrau. The staff is fantastic, and the food even better. No matter where you stay, I know you will enjoy your stay.. I am counting the days, 362 to be exact, untill my 3rd visit..

Dave

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016