Is it ok to order cogwheel train one day before?

• Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    19 May 2017 at 12:43:42 #811886

We are new to Switzerland and could have planned to travel in the wrong month. Since we are flying from Barcelonia after ending our cruise there, we have decided to visit this beautiful famous mountainous country from 12-25 June.

Our itinerary is set as our hotels were already booked. We are quite confused as to whether to book our mountain train/panorama train/cable car/cogwheel train in advance. We couldn’t decide when we are about to order the Swiss Travel Pass because the weather during our stay may or may not be favourable to us. Do advise us if it is possible to order any of these transports at the last minute. Will it be more pricey?

• Day1 to 4 – Zurich airport to Wilderswil for several famous mountain trips to explore by cable cars/cogwheel train
    • Day5 to 6 – Interlaken area, Brien z & Thurn and Lauterbrunnen valley
    • Day7 to 8 – To Zermatt for the world famous Matterhorn glacier paradise. Will travel to St Moritz by Glacier Express
    • Day9 – We only have 1 day in St Moritz due to booking error to stay in Luzern and we felt bad to cancel.

We will spend our last 4 days in Luzern. Does this itinerary make some sense to you?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2017 at 5:00:16 #863570

>> We are new to Switzerland and could have planned to travel in the wrong month … from 12-25 June.

That time should be fine if you are not planning any high-altitude hiking. Most mountain transport will have reopened after the winter closure or maintenance break.

>> We are quite confused as to whether to book our mountain train/panorama train/cable car/cogwheel train in advance … Do advise us if it is possible to order any of these transports at the last minute. Will it be more pricey? … Will travel to St Moritz by Glacier Express

Getting your tickets for mountain transport at the last minute is not only fine, but the best idea! You need to wait until at least the day before to see whether the weather will be suitable for your trip. Buying on the day is fine, and is what most people do. There will be no difference in price.

The Glacier Express is different though. You will definitely need to make an advance reservation for this trip, as reservations are compulsory and can sell out.

You can make reservtions here:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

>> Does this itinerary make some sense to you?

Yes, that sounds like a good itinerary. Are you staying in both Wilderswil and Interlaken? Both towns are very close together, so you can be very flexible with how you arrange your excursions and activities for days 1-6, depending on how the weather turns out. Head for the peaks on the first clear day, as you never know when the next clear day will be!

As you are staying in Wilderswil, you might have time one day to have a look at an interesting covered wooden bridge there. I’ll copy my text from a previous thread:

“Wilderswil itself has a lovely little nook of beautiful traditional houses, a small square with park, and a covered wooden bridge over the Lütschine River, that dates from 1738 and is just a few minutes’ walk from the station. To get there, cross the tracks at the station crossing, go down Bahnhofstrasse, continue in the same direction along Allmendstrasse to the bridge and Lütschine river (map and some photos attached).”

If you would like to see the photos, they are attached to my post of Mar 8, 2017 – 12:57 AM in the following thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/switzerland-13-days-trip-with-2-kids

Alpenrose

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    20 May 2017 at 6:32:39 #863571

Thank you Alpenrose for great input. Yes, we are not hiking at high altitude , we will move around by mountain transports & trains. Indeed we have booked 4nights at Wilderswil & 2nights at Interlaken. Will explore Wilderswil for some village beauty. Thank you so much

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 May 2017 at 13:17:44 #863572

Hi

I am trying to buy a cheaper Swiss Travel Pass from your Reseller. Will there be any problem buying from Happy Rail in Euro as a Singaporean?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 14:23:02 #863573

I don’t believe this would be an issue – just note that you’re credit card will be charged in Euro’s so there will be a foreign exchange fee as well.

Lucas

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 May 2017 at 16:04:10 #863574

Thank you for your concern, Lucas. I realised that HappyRail will add another 1% to the amount.

Thanks for your prompt reply

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    21 May 2017 at 19:20:16 #863575

Hi

I have problems trying to find out under which Reseller I should reserve a seat for Glacier Express. I don’t seem to be able to reserve seat only without buying a ticket from the following website.

Maybe I need more help in this area. I would appreciate it please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 2:37:26 #863576

>> I don’t seem to be able to reserve seat only without buying a ticket from the following website.

Re reserving on the site

When you get to the screen where you have to fill in the personal details for each individual traveller, there is a box with a drop-down list of reductions passengers might be entitled to. If you will have a Swiss Travel Pass when you travel (whether or not you have already bought it), select that, and the fare will reduce to the cost of the reservation only.

Alpenrose

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 May 2017 at 13:16:15 #863577

Great! and I have just reserved for 2 pax.

Thank you so much Alpenrose

Pauline

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 5:54:32 #863578

>> Great! and I have just reserved for 2 pax.

Hi Pauline – glad you managed to make your reservations! Have a wonderful ride on the Glacier Express!

Alpenrose

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    28 May 2017 at 5:06:10 #863579

Thk u Alpenrose

By the way, how cold will Jungfrau, Zermatt & Gornagrat be? Do we need to bring along some winter items? We are not hiking but will do a lot of walking around the resorts & mountains.

Pauline

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    28 May 2017 at 5:17:51 #863580

As we had mentioned much earlier, we will b around the mountains between 12-16June, on the 19-20, we will up to Zerrmatt. I m confused abt what types of clothes I shd pack. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 11:14:30 #863581

Hi Pauline,

It is hard to say for sure….I would plan on Jungfraujoch to be around 0-5 degrees. Gornergrat may be around 10 degrees and Zermatt town centre could be quite warm.

Today it is 22 in Zermatt, 9 degrees at the top of Gornergrat and Jungfraujoch is 7 degrees – that may be as good as you can expect at the top of the mountains.

I would pack a sweater and wind/rain coat on this trip regardless and that should suffice for you depending on any planned activities you want to to on these mountains and how long you will be up there!

Lucas

Pauho
    Participant
    10 posts
    28 May 2017 at 15:01:50 #863582

Thk u Lucas. Yr reply is very helpful. We are ready for Europe tonight.

Surely we are going to enjoy Switzerland with great information from Myswissalps.com & timely advice from both Alpenrose & you. Once again a big thank you.

Best Regards/William &Pauline

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 0:27:09 #863583

>> Surely we are going to enjoy Switzerland with great information from Myswissalps.com & timely advice from both Alpenrose & you. Once again a big thank you.

You’re welcome Pauline! Have a wonderful trip!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Is it ok to order cogwheel train one day before?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.