Is May a good time to visit switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 11:59:27 #810617

Hi,

I am planning my trip in the early May this year. Is the weather fine during that month? Should I expect extreme cold? Is it bearable enough for travelling?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2017 at 13:38:11 #858216

Hi Monamehta,

This has already been discussed in your other thread. It won’t be extreme cold except possibly in the high mountains. You can travel around Switzerland all year round, the weather won’t be a limiting factor. It may only limit the kind of day trips you can make. It’s too early to tell if it will be raining or sunny, warm or chilly, or a mix of all that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 13:53:44 #858217

Thanks for your reply.

yes I had asked earlier about the weather. But this I asked in terms of suggestion as in is it suggestable to travel in May.

actually its my first ever trip to any european country so I was doing some research.

thanks for your help!!

I hope you dont mind me asking questions 🙂

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2017 at 14:10:41 #858218

Hi Monamehta,

Questions are very welcome! May can be really beautiful. I traveled in Switzerland in May various times and liked the spring weather. It does come with limitations too as higher hiking trails will not be accessible yet due to snow. Some mountain villages will be quiet and hotels closed. But with careful planning you can for sure have a good time in May. The weather is the most important factor, but can’t be predicted until about 3 days ahead of time. A bit of luck is required.

Does this answer your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2017 at 14:23:56 #858219

Ok, thanks Arno!!

My plans are to visit jungfraujoch, grindelwald, lake brienz. My stay will be in interlaken.

As you said luck matters, so lets see how does interlaken’s weather treat us.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 January 2017 at 14:48:32 #858220

You’re welcome! Interlaken is down in the valley. It’s relatively warm there, and often sunnier than in the smaller villages in the mountains. Visiting the places you mentioned will be no problem. Jungfraujoch will definitely be cold.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2017 at 2:16:37 #858221

Hi Monamehta –

I often travel to Switzerland in May. With luck I’ll be there this year in late May.

However, I reserve my visits to the locations that you describe for warmer weather, when all the tourist services are working at full speed.

In May, I stay at low altitudes…near Luzern (local German spelling of Lucerne) the regions around Lake Biel, the Emmental.

For the Jungfrau region, I go in July, August, or, for me, the best is September.

Arno and Annika have given you correct information ( as always) and for your short visit, you will enjoy that region. I have a different perspective about what I enjoy and wish to do. Hikes in the natural areas with no snow.

Why do I say all this? Because you will be visiting an area that can be quite enjoyable, but is not fully open, and you should not find surprises.

You may find the weather to be a problem on any (unpredictable) day. Interlaken is a good base for travel to higher(colder) regions or to lower altitude places that are warmer, such a s Bern.

Stay flexible. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2017 at 13:00:54 #858222

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

which area are you referring here ” Because you will be visiting an area that can be quite enjoyable, but is not fully open, and you should not find surprises”

are you talking about jungfraujoch?

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 January 2017 at 15:55:30 #858223

I think Slowpoke meant the Jungfrau region. A visit to Jungfraujoch won’t be a problem though, it’s open year round.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 January 2017 at 16:31:00 #858224

Hi Monamehta-

Arno got it right.

You can ride the cograil train that runs from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg then to Grindelwald, with the branch at Kleine Scheidegg up to Jungfraujoch on any day of the year.

I was commenting about the general Jungfrau area, and the villages such as Grindelwald that you mentioned, also including Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, and Wengen.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is May a good time to visit switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.