Is possible use a Junior Card with Interrail ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2016 at 7:16:59 #808363

From 19th March to 27th March I’m stay in Switzerland with my wife and my two childs, one of three years old and the other ten years old.I’ll stay two days in Geneve and two days in Bern so I think that the pass Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days or InterRail One Country for 6 days are allright and the childs travel free with both.

I’ll stay in Luzern too and I’ll visiting the cities with the public transport and I’ll going to Titlis that with both passes have half price.My qüestion is if possible that the oldest child can travel with the Junior Card in the cases that I buy a transport ticket in the cities or for Titlis. For the other trips no problem because the Interrail is with the option Family.

Thank you in advance,

Andrés

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 February 2016 at 5:58:00 #848141

Thanks for joining us Andrés!

You’ve raised a good question. With the Swiss Travel Pass, your children will travel for free everywhere, even to mountain top like Titlis. I’m not sure about Interrail though. I’ll try to find more information and get back to you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 February 2016 at 11:05:33 #848142

I found some additional information: with Interrail, children do not travel for free on discounted routes such as cable cars. They get a discount as well. This applies to your 10 year old as children up to 5 generally travel for free anywhere in Switzerland.

The Junior travelcard requires the parents to travel with “any” valid ticket or pass, so I expect that Interrail would qualify. You may want to ask about that when you buy the Junior travelcard, just to be sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2016 at 11:39:49 #848143

Thanks Arno.

Finally I have a answer from a SBB. This is the reply:

“Dear Mr. Gutiérrez

Thank you for your query.

With the Swiss Travel Pass you receive the family card for free. In this case you pay 50% for the Titlis and the child travels for free with the family card.

With the InterRail Pass, you need the Junior-Card for CHF 30.00. The child travels for free and you need a ticket for the Titlis and the public transport. The Junior-Card is also valid for the public transport in Lucerne.

The InterRail Pass is not valid for the stretch Engelberg – Titlis – Engelberg. Therefore the adults need an additional ticket.

The price is as follows for the Titlis:
    CHF 44.50 / Engelberg – Titlis – Engelberg, half price.

CHF 89.00 / Engelberg -Titlis – Engelberg, full price

Kind regards
    Daniela Calabrò

SBB AG
    Contact Center
    P.O. Box – 3900 Brig, Switzerland
    ———————————– CC7599636 / ———————————–
    > ————————————
    > Your message
    > ————————————
    > Hi,
    >
    > I’ll buy a Pass for the train but there are two options, the Interrail Pass or the Swiss Travel Pass both with the Family Card, and I do not know which to buy because only I need six days.
    >
    > I understand that with the Interrail if for example I’d like to go to Titlis where I must pay 50% of the trip the ten years old must pay 50% of ticket too.
    >
    > So, I’ve finded the Junior Card for the child and He can travel free always that the parents travel with a valid ticket. My qüestion is if this is valid for the Titlis when the parents travel with the Interrail and buy the tickets or for a example Luzern if the parents buy a ticket for the city transport.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrés
    >
    > ————————————
    > Title
    > ————————————
    > Mr.
    >
    > ————————————
    > Title(frm_Address)
    > ————————————
    > Andrés Gutiérrez”

The price is as follows for the Titlis:
    CHF 44.50 / Engelberg – Titlis – Engelberg, half price.

CHF 89.00 / Engelberg -Titlis – Engelberg, full price”

I confuse because I ask to Engelberg about this and this is your reply:

“With the Swiss Pass and the Interrail Pass you pay only CHF 44.50 for a return ticket up to Engelberg, as mentioned in the price list below. Kids younger than six are free of charge.”

And in other reply:

“If I were you, I would buy the junior card for your 10 Years old. This card you can buy at the train station and the 10 year old is free in all trains and cable car, if the child is with the parents. So with this card, both children are free.”

Certainly I confuse. We can travel with the Interrail and Junior Card for the child or we can travel with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Then with the Swiss Travel Pass the child ten years old can travel to Titlis free. Is it true?

Thanks,

Andrés

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 February 2016 at 12:02:23 #848144

Thanks for sharing that here Andrés! Both children are definitely free, to Titlis too, if you buy a Swiss Travel Pass. No doubt about that. Just request the free Swiss Family Card when ordering. You can order it though http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Select Online Ticket when asked for delivery information, so you’ll receive the pass through e-mail to print it at home.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2016 at 16:29:07 #848145

Yes Arno.

I ask to Engelberg about Titlis and they confirm this:

Interrail Plus Junior Card = Childrens <16 free.

And Swiss Family Card = Childrens <16 free.

Another qüestion, I have two days in my travel that I don’t sure that the route is good:

22nd / 23rd March Luzern-Reinfall-Sant Gallen with train S8 near Lake Konstanz. Return from Sant Gallen with Voralpen Express. In other case we can visit Winterthur or Zürich three hours but I’d like to go to Sant Gallen to take the Voralpen Express.

24th March Luzern-Interlaken.

25th Interlaken-Genève by Montreaux with Golden Pass.

In this case I don’t know if stay in Interkaken or in Grindelwald. You considering that we’ll arrive at midday on 24th March and we’ll depart no more later of midday on 25 March and I’d like to visit Grindelwald or other place beatiful near this.

Regards,

Andrés

Interlake

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 February 2016 at 13:54:33 #848146

Hi Andrés,

I would prefer Grindelwald. Interlaken is not very pretty and at some distance from the mountains. Grindelwald is amidst the mountains and you can easily do a train ride to Kleine Scheidegg in the afternoon. For routes and train schedules, please check the timetable.

Kind regards,

Annika

• The thread ‘Is possible use a Junior Card with Interrail ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.