Is the Half Fare Combi Card worth it?

• Marimo
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 December 2016 at 16:35:11 #810427

We are three travelers, ages 59,22, and 20. On 16.12.2016 we will take the TGV Lyria from Paris to Lausanne and then SBB from Lausanne to Zermatt. On 20.12.2016 we will take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Andermatt (We have already made those arrangements), then Andermatt to Zurich. We will be in Zurich through the 22.12.2016. Our plane departs Zurich on 22.12.

I am having trouble figuring out if the half fare combi is worth it.

Many thanks, Marimo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 December 2016 at 18:03:17 #857345

Hi Marimo,

I am not sure which exact pass you are referring to. Are you considering the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi? It would not make sense for your itinerary for two reasons: you will only be making two longer trips, and validity of the pass ends after the last free trip, so it won’t be any good once you’ve reached Zurich. The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi won’t work either as you are not taking the direct route on your way back, and it would also expire in Zurich.

Either a Swiss Half Fare Card or 8-day Swiss Travel Pass will work for you. You can compare them price wise as explained here. Both of them can be printed at home. I would recommend that as it saves time in Lausanne: you can go to your next train straight away. You can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en to do so. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 3 business days, so be sure to order in time.

• The thread ‘Is the Half Fare Combi Card worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.