Can I get Swiss Pass at Zurich Airport?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 8:09:32 #808304

Hello all,

May I confirm that that I am able to purchase either Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss half fare card at Zurich Airport? I’m most probably looking at the 4 days consecutive swiss travel pass (CHF 251). Will there be any price difference if I purchase upon my arrival in Zurich?

I will be arriving in early Feb at Zurich airport early in the morning (about 7am) and I’m planning to purchase it at the airport. However the travel date will be in mid feb as I will be flying off to the UK on the same day in the evening and back to Switzerland in mid Feb. Would appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance!

Serene

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 January 2016 at 8:33:47 #847879

Hi Serene,

You can find and compare all purchase options through http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. Please click to the Discounts section to find promotions, but currently there are no special deals. As you can see on the linked page, local and online prices are equal at the moment. So I would recommend the online purchase as that saves you time. You can select the “Online Ticket” option when delivery options are presented. That allows you to print the pass at home and immediately board the first available train upon arrival, instead of having to visit the ticket office first. Please see http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2016 at 9:21:05 #847880

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply! As my travelling date is getting real close so I’m worried that I might not be able to get the online e ticket in time before my travel as they may take a few days to process. So I’m thinking of getting it upon arrival to be safe and it’s a definite thing that I’m able to get it at the travel centre at Zurich Airport right?

Also, I’m thinking of getting a sim card in Switzerland with mobile data so that I can have access to internet while I’m travelling and search for information while I’m on the go. Any recommendations on the mobile plans available in Switzerland for a short stay?

Thanks!

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 January 2016 at 9:43:28 #847881

Hi Serene,

You’re welcome! Processing takes 3 working days or less, so that’s no problem in your case. Sure you can get it at the airport as well. You need to go to the staffed ticket desk of the airport rail station. It’s just more convenient to have your pass in hand and not loose time. As for SIM cards, please take a look at this: http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 1:44:52 #847882

HI Annika,

Got it and thank you very much! 🙂

Hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2016 at 4:17:11 #847883

Hi Annika,

Need your advise please..

I was recently informed that I will have a business meeting at Belgium, and I take this opportunity to also visit Switzerland, a country I have always wanted to visit.

Due to time constraint (I will need to be back home by 8 Feb), it will be only short visit: arrive at Zurich on 4 Feb around 9am and leave for Zurich on 6 Feb. I have booked hotel for one night in Lucerne (4 Feb) and 1 night in Zurich (5 Feb). I want to visit one mountain (Pilatus or Rigi?) and sight seeings. I can hike but not too much because of leg problem, so shorter distance would be preferred.

Could you please advise if it is worthed to have a swiss travel pass or other passes? And which mountain to visit given my condition?

Thanks very much in advance.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 January 2016 at 15:13:43 #847884

Hi Lidia,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! Great that you get to visit Switzerland. I suggest you look into a Swiss Half Fare Card, as that seems to be the best match for your travel plans. You can easily get it as a print at home ticket without additional fees from http://www.swissrailways.com, so that you can start using it right after your arrival in Zurich. Note that the processing of such an order takes a couple of days, so don’t wait too long. If you want to make sure which is option is best, you should make calculations as explained at our "How to choose" page.

The Rigi is a gentle mountain, allowing your to make some easy strolls. You can combine it with a boat trip over Lake Lucerne.

If you have further questions, please open a new topic, as your question isn’t closely related to Serene’s original topic (that’s asked for in our forum rules). Thank you :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2016 at 19:09:08 #847885

Thanks,Annika, and noted.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 January 2016 at 20:20:46 #847886

Hi SerenN-

I think there is some confusion. The 4-day pass that you want to buy at the airport will not be used until a few weeks later. If you buy a 4 day consecutive pass, you cannot start it on your first time and still use it on your later trip. Anika may have mised that point, or else i missed something.. If your train travel on your first trip is only to Zürich city or nearby, the fares are low enough that even traveling with out a discount will not be terribly expensive. However, if you are going a long distance on your first trip, then you should seek to cover both trips.

To cover both, the one-month half fare card might be better. You can do some comparative calculations in a spreadsheet in this forum, which is somewhere under Rail Passes.

Quote from Annika – <<” If you want to make sure which is option is best, you should make calculations as explained at our “How to choose” page.”>>

I have never used it, but I know it is there. If you do choose to buy the half-fare card, then it makes sense to have it on your first trip, and it is convenient f you actually have it in your hand when you arrive (as Annika pointed out.). On the other hand, if you want to buy it when you arrive, the rail ticket office at the airport is open at Zürich Airport at 0615 and it closes at 2230. So, you could indeed get a half fare card immediately after arrival, for use on your first trip if you choose. It might take 15-20 minutes. If the lines are long at the ticket desks, check the “Travel Bureau” to the left.

Hope that helps,

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 January 2016 at 20:29:23 #847887

Hi Lidia –

Annika’s suggestion of an online purchase makes a lot of sense if you are in a hurry (andyou may well be.)

However, it is not hard to buy a half-fare card at the airport.

It makes sense to have it in your hand when you arrive (as Annika pointed out.).On the other hand, if you want to buy it when you arrive, the rail ticket office at the airport is open at Zürich Airport at 0615 and it closes at 2230, every day of the week.. So, you could indeed get a half fare card immediately after arrival, for use on your first trip if you choose. It might take 15-20 minutes. If the lines are long at the ticket desks, check the “Travel Bureau” to the left.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 January 2016 at 20:45:29 #847888

<<“Due to time constraint (I will need to be back home by 8 Feb), it will be only short visit: arrive at Zurich on 4 Feb around 9am and leave for Zurich on 6 Feb. I have booked hotel for one night in Lucerne (4 Feb) and 1 night in Zurich (5 Feb). I want to visit one mountain (Pilatus or Rigi?) and sight seeings. I can hike but not too much because of leg problem, so shorter distance would be preferred.”>>

With any luck, in early February skiers will be happy to have lots of snow on the Rigi. I do hear some complaints about not so much snow from friends, but I’d not count on having paths free of snow. Some may be cleared. Pilatus does not really have any hikes, just a short walk circling the mountain top.

A really good way to find out a lot more is to talk to the tourist info office by track #1 in the Luzern main station. They are reallly knowledgeable and helpful.

There is frequent train service from Zürich airport to Luzern. Two trins evry hor. The direct train get there in just under an hour. Th eone with a chang e of trains at Zürich main station taks about 70 minutes.

I’d catch one of those and head right to Luzern…that will give you most of two days there before you return to Zürich on th eafternoon or evening of the 5th.

If you are traveling light, you should consider taking the train back to the asirport from Zürich on AM 6th. Up to 8 trains per hour.

A cab is minimum 55 CHF and not unusually about 65 CHF. Above that , the ridiculaously expensive ride turns into a rip off.

The rides are usually on the meter. Some hotels have fixed fare arrangements. if you take the “BEN Bus” for around 25 or so CHF, counton a scenic tour of a few other hotels before you get to the airport.

This forum also has recommended hotels at the airport.

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels

i always stay downtown…greater variety, etc. But, I know the transit system very well.

Luzern is a great idea for your quick trip.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2016 at 0:12:10 #847889

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 January 2016 at 0:56:19 #847890

You are welcome.

Hope it helps.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Can I get Swiss Pass at Zurich Airport?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.