Is this Switzerland itinerary too rushed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 10:38:51 #812375

Hello!

I’m starting school in Milan this August and am planning a 5 day trip to Switzerland with the family before my course starts on 30th August. My itinerary is as follows –

23rd August – Afternoon arrival in Luzerne from Milan.

24th August – one day trip to Mt. Pilatus.

25th August – one day trip to Mt. Titlis.

26th August – Luzerne to Interlaken by train. (preferably early morning arrival)

27th August – one day trip to Mt. Jungfrau.

28th August – Interlaken to Milan by morning train.

Is there any way I could fit in Rhine falls or Zermatt in this trip?

We’re planning to take the Swiss travel pass for 4 days. Also, my brother plans to travel further to Munich from Interlaken, what would be the best way to reach Munich from interlaken?

Any suggestions/alterations would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:11:59 #865648

Hi Tapfoot, thanks for joining us!

I think this itinerary looks fine and no, not too rushed. One transfer or attraction per day is perfectly doable and it will leave you some time to explore the towns of Lucerne and Interlaken as well. I don’t see a good way to incorporate the Rhine Falls, unless you do Titlis and Pilatus in one day and spend the remaining day on a Rhine Falls trip. That’s not what I’d prefer though. Likewise, you could make a day trip from Interlaken to Zermatt, either on August 26 right after arrival in Interlaken or on August 27 if you do the Jungfraujoch trip on August 26. But that would cause your itinerary to get pretty packed with traveling. Please consult the timetable to check traveling times for yourself, and to decide what you’re fine with.

The timetable also provides all options for Interlaken-Munich.

As for passes and tickets: yes, a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass makes sense for August 24-27. If weather doesn’t allow you to go up in the mountains, the Swiss Travel Pass offers lots of alternatives such as free boat rides, scenic train rides and museum entrances.

For the inbound and outbound rides from/to Milan on August 23 and 28 I recommend Swiss Transfer Tickets. They will cover the Swiss portion of the journeys (up to/from Domodossola) and are slightly cheaper than regular train tickets. On top of that you need additional tickets Milan-Domodossola and back; please find options at http://www.myswissalps .com/traintickets/ital y. Your brother can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket for the Swiss leg of his journey to Munich as well. The ticket will be valid as far as Basel, so he needs an additional ticket Basel-Munich; please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/germany.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2017 at 12:25:18 #865649

Thank you for the reply Annika!

I interchanged my dates for luzern and interlaken and will be arriving in interlaken first. I found some cheap saver fare tickets on my return from luzern which cost me less than the transfer tickets but I needed to clear some doubts.

So on my return from Lucerne to Milan, the train I’m planning to book has a four minute stop in Arth-Goldau, where I’ve to deboard and get on the Eurocity train to Milan.

What am I supposed to do if I miss my Eurocity Train to Milan on reaching Arth-Goldau?

Also, I can make these international train reservations on the SBB.ch website and take the tickets printouts for travelling without any problems, right?

Thank you,

Yogita.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 June 2017 at 20:53:36 #865650

Hi Yogita,

If you miss a train you just take the next one. The only thing to check is whether you need seat reservations for that next train. If so, you need to go to the ticket office and arrange for that. Reservations can be made on lots of sites including the ones Annika linked to and SBB. Prices can vary so be sure to compare. Mostly these are e-tickets to print yourself, yes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2017 at 1:45:02 #865651

<<“So on my return from Lucerne to Milan, the train I’m planning to book has a four minute stop in Arth-Goldau, where I’ve to deboard and get on the Eurocity train to Milan.”>>

Hi Yogita – the trains stop on two sides of the same paltform.’

You have 4 minutes to get of one train with your luggage, walk 25 mters, and get on the next train.

That cross-platform connection is extremely well organized. If you wan to stretch it a bit, you can walk along the platform before you get on the Eurocity train , in order to choose your car. If rushed, get on any car and walk through the train. , Since you are leaving Switzerland, I assume that you will have a seat reservation…necessary once you are across the border.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is this Switzerland itinerary too rushed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.