Is Zermatt still worth it in iffy weather?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2016 at 16:31:54 #810017

I’m planning on going to Zermatt for a few days after arriving in Geneva in early September and hope to do some hiking, and of course see the Matterhorn. Rick Steves is adamant about not going to Zermatt if the weather isn’t good. I was wondering what others thought and if Zermatt is still worthwhile if it may be rainy or foggy. We can can our hotel reservations up until the day before we’re suppose to arrive there. Thoughts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2016 at 10:09:23 #855650

I went to Zermatt for the first time in June 2016 from Australia

it was amazing to see and want to go back. Before we arrived Switzerland had a lot of rain , we were lucky weather good when arrived and the matterhorn was exposed to see from the village. We did the Gornergrat train and spent the day up there.

Stayed there 3 nights wise we did more. Was going to ski for a day but was right on the change over from one ski field to a higher one. Then the weather came in again . We did a hike from Zermatt to Furi . That was good. Would have gone higher or higher on cable car but due to weather it was closed .

Hiked back down to village in rain and thunder such a great experience. Really worth going no matter what weather . 3 nights only 1 1/2 day of of rain . Last day matterhorn was covered over.

Such an amazing place,will go again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2016 at 0:07:10 #855651

Thanks for your response.

• The thread ‘Is Zermatt still worth it in iffy weather?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.