Italy to Switzerland route question

• Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    22 April 2015 at 23:24:41 #807112

Considering returning from Italy to Zurich for flight home from the Bolzano area of Italy. What would my routing be assuming I have a Swiss Travel Flex pass. Want to avoid Milan area if possible? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 April 2015 at 19:46:11 #842635

Hi Fognorth,

You can travel via Innsbruck (Austria) or Zernez (Switzerland). The latter takes more changes and a bus between Mals and Zernez, the rest of it is trains. You’d be traveling in Switzerland for most of that route, so maximizing the usage of your pass. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex includes traveling from Mals to Zurich airport. For schedules, please see the timetable.

Either way it takes about 7 hours. If you don’t need to do this in one day, it’s a good opportunity to explore the Engadine.

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    23 April 2015 at 19:52:50 #842636

Thanks Arno

You said, “The Swiss Travel Pass Flex includes traveling from Mals to Zurich airport” Explain? I assume you meant that “if” I had planned well and still had a travel day left on my Pass…right?

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 April 2015 at 5:24:52 #842637

Hi Fognorth,

Sure, you do need a travel day. There is no free traveling nor discounts if you are not using a travel day. In that case you need a regular point to point ticket.

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    24 April 2015 at 22:08:27 #842638

Arno,

I am having a hard time finding Mals location? Is it in Italy? Do you know if I have to take a euro italian train to get there from Bolzano or is it only a bus? Italy Train does not recognize the name even using what I think is place Malle Venosta? Appreciate your help…thanks so much.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 April 2015 at 7:14:13 #842639

Hi Fognorth,

The Italian name is Malles Venosta. You can find it on the Swiss Travel Pass Flex map. Detailed schedules can be found in the timetable I referred to in my first post. It’s easier to use than the Italian sites. If you have trouble finding the details then please let me know your travel date.

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    26 April 2015 at 19:15:29 #842640

Arno,

Aha ! I found it. This time difference sort of adds to the delay and confusion for me. For instance as I post this it’s around 8pm over there and I assume the forum is not monitored at nite. So when you come back on line I will be in bed…so we get one good exchange every other day. I have my Swiss itinerary pretty much set now and want your feedback on a Travel Pass but will do a new post so these do not get mixed up. Thanks.

Tim

• The thread ‘Italy to Switzerland route question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.