Itenerary advice

• vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    21 June 2014 at 21:48:56 #806454

Im spending just two nights in Lauterbrunnen next month and will travel from Lucerne on first day starting around 7 am and then travel back to Zurich for a night before flying out .I purchased a swiss half fare card which should also be useful in St Moritz, Zermatt,Lucerne etc earlier in the trip

this is what i want to do with my family when im there but am not sure how best to schedule it

1)take cable car to Grutschalp ,hike to Murren and take train/ cable back to Lauterbrunnen .

2) go to Wengen ,take cable to Mannlichen ,hike to Kleine Scheidegg ,carry on to Jungfrauch and then descend back either to Wengen or Grindelwald

now heres my dilemna

I also want to see Harder Kulm in Interlaken and eat Indian food for lunch in Grindelwald at the brand new and only Indian restaraunt in that area and then maybe go to First but if i go on the day i go to Jungfrauch it might be too late for lunch and also it might be a little too much .

so then i can either do it on the way from Lucerne and go first to Harder Kulm and then Grindelwald before checking in to my hotel in Lauterbrunnen or when leaving for Zurich on the third day but ill have to think about my luggage if i do either

Any suggestions ?

Should i just skip Harder Kulm / Grindelwald / First .

I will already have seen a bunch of mountains by then- Matterhorn,Pileatus and Jungfrau

ty

first time visitor to Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    22 June 2014 at 21:23:14 #840270

Suggest you go to Grindelwald from Lucerne, leaving your luggage in lockers at Grindelwald station and have an early lunch at the new restaurant. Then retrieve your luggage and head to Lauterbrunnen and continue with your itinerary after checking in to your hotel.

You will need to skip Harder Kulm and First. You will have seen much glorious scenery already anyway.

As I’m sure you know, do a Jungfraujoch trip only on a clear day. Clouds often come in during the afternoon so you should start your second day rather early, ideally in time to get atop Jungfraujoch by noon. The walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg takes about 1.5 hours.

swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    23 June 2014 at 0:00:55 #840271

Given that everyone suggests doing the Jungfraujoch trip as early in the day as possible, if we are staying in Wengen should we head straight for JF in the morning and do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike on a different day or later time (would this be OK later or on a cloudy/cloudier day?) or take the time to do the hike on the same day? We are planning on visiting the snow park as well as the other attractions atop of JF so wouldn’t be interested in the early morning ticket.

Likewise if we do the Schilthorn what is the best way of combining as many routes/attractions as possible while getting to the top at the optimum time to enjoy the views?

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    23 June 2014 at 12:18:45 #840272

Thanks for your reply Kim

One more question for Kim ,Arno or Annika

Im sure this is an individual preference and has been debated at length but in July and with a short stay(my itenerary is above) which is preferable to stay in

Lauterbrunnen -more of a central access except to Jungfrau,beautiful waterfall view

or Wengen -experience of staying in a car free village ,perhaps cooler in July

Ive gone back and forth on this one and while ive booked in Lauterbrunnen in a place with excellent reviews I can always cancel and book in Wengen .Cost wise would be about .The hotel in Wengen would be non refundable at this late date however .

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 June 2014 at 5:43:00 #840273

Hi vikicork,

You really can’t go wrong with either of them. Like you say, it’s a personal preference. Lauterbrunnen is tiny, on the valley floor, easy to access. Wengen is up the mountain (max. 5 °C cooler there), larger, car free and sunnier. As for the ride to the Jungfraujoch: really to major difference. You just need to board the same train 15 minutes earlier in Lauterbrunnen versus Wengen. If you go to Mürren/Schilthorn, you’re 15 minutes closer to that when based in Lauterbrunnen.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 June 2014 at 5:52:00 #840274

Hi swisscat,

Normally yes, go early, but you really can’t tell until you’ve checked the local weather forecast on the evening before. It may be clear and sunny until mid-afternoon or later, so in such a case you can walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg first and then go up. But it can also be cloudy in the morning and clear up in the afternoon. It’s less common but possible.

Please see the Schilthorn page I linked to in my previous post for a detailed description of the two different routes to get there. You can visit the Trümmelbach Falls in the valley and walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen and/or Grütschalp to Mürren.

Please note that you can best open a new topic, rather then adding to someone else’s. You will get better and faster replies that way.

• The thread ‘Itenerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.