• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2017 at 16:41:21 #810574

Hi All

Happy New Year to all

I hope somebody can help me out

Staying in Lucerne and wish to carry on to Salzburg my idea is this

1. Travel from Lucerne/ Luzern to Zermatt on the Glacier Express (have swiss travel pass – is this free then ?? seat reservation required. Take a walk in at Zermatt (thinking 5 lakes walk) any suggestions.

2. Continue travel that day onto Chur or St.Mortiz have temporary booked accommmoation in both places. Which is best??

3. Following morning depending on where we stay take a short hike in the area – ie if it was St.Mortiz lake walk.

4, From there take a train to either Innsbruck or onto Salzburg rough estimate St.Mortiz to Innsbruck 5 hrs

Hope somebody can help with ideas – any other suggestions on how to get to Salzburg from Luzern in 2 days taking in Scenic rail journeys would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    14 January 2017 at 16:57:38 #858050

Hi twiggy321,

Happy 2017! Your point 1 and 2 can’t be done in one day. My suggestion would be to follow the route of the Gotthard Panorama Express until Andermatt, then change to the Glacier Express to St. Moritz. The next day, take a train to Landquart via Sagliains, and continue to Salzburg from there. There is also a route via Scuol and Landeck but it requires more changes and is partly by bus.

Some helpful links:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2017 at 17:53:00 #858051

Thanks for your reply Arno

1. Would it therefore be better to just do a day trip from Luzern/Lucerne to Zermatt for the day and return back to Luzern for the night and then the following morning do the Salzburg trip via Zurich .

2. is there a way i could combine the Gothard Panorama Express and some of the Glacier Express in a day. Many thanks once again for your suggestions

Arno
    15478 posts
    14 January 2017 at 18:22:01 #858052

Hi twiggy321,

1. It can be done but it’s a pretty long day trip.

2. Yes, sure, you can combine parts of both. See my previous post and the pages I linked to.

• The thread ‘Luzern to Salzburg by scenic trains in 2 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.