Itinerary feedback 9 days in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2015 at 10:02:40 #807845

hi,

we’re a family of 4: parents + 27 daughter and 23 son. we’re planning a trip in Sep 17-27.

I’ll appreciate a feedback for my itinerary:

Sep 17- arriving Geneva airport at 17:00 and driving with a rented car to Cruseilles France where we’ll stay for 2 nights. visiting Annecy in the evening.

Sep 18-La Tournette / Chamonix / Geneva ??

Sep 19- driving to Spiez where we’ll stay for 5 nights. on the way we’ll stop in: Montreux, Chateau De Chillon, Col Des Mosses, Zweisimmen.

Sep 20-lake cruise on the Thunersee and visit Bern

Sep 21- ~ Jungfrajoch and Lucern

Sep 22- a hiking / walking day ??

Sep 23- Zermatt??

Sep 24- a hiking / walking day ??

Sep 25- driving all the way to Lyon

Sep 26- Lyon

Sep 27- early morning flight back from Lyon airport.

thanks,

Aviva.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    31 August 2015 at 16:30:22 #845809

Hi Aviva, thanks for joining us!

Let’s look at the Swiss part of your trip. I assume you’ll be doing most transfers by car? That’s an option, but generally traveling by train is highly recommended as it’s a safe and very comfortable way to enjoy the scenery for all travelers. You may check our our car and train sections to compare the options. If you opt for the car, please find car rental information here.

During your stay in Spiez, there’s a wide range of day trips to choose from. Activities and hikes listed at our Bernese Oberland activities page. Zermatt is quite far off for a day trip, although it is doable. Train traveing times can be checked in the timetable; for car trips I recommend this map or Google maps. Personally I wouldn’t combine the Jungfraujoch and Lucerne one day. I’d rather enjoy the Jungfraujoch round trip and combine this with some more local sightseeing in the Lauterbrunnen valley or near Grindelwald. You could then dedicate one of your other days to Lucerne and its surroundings, getting there via the Brünig Pass by either train (this is the Golden Pass route) or car.

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2015 at 8:46:19 #845810

Hi Annika,

thanks you for your feedback,

we’ll be with a car as we need to travel from /to France.

two more things:

1. for the 19th- do you recommend the route I mentioned?

2. we would like to have two walking/ hiking days with beautiful views (24th and 26th), what is your recommendation?

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 September 2015 at 5:33:33 #845811

Hi Aviva,

1. I don’t know the Col des Mosses section myself, but the rest of the route is certainly fine. There’s not much to see in Zweisimmen, but it’s a nice village to have lunch. And there’s a cable car to the Rinderberg.

2. You can find hiking suggestions on the Zermatt page Annika linked to. Please click “What to do”. If you can, consider a visit to the Gornergrat. I can’t recommend for Lyon.

A Swiss Half Fare Card saves you money on cable car and boat trips. Note that you need a motorway vignette to drive in Switzerland. I’m not sure if a car rented from the French site of Geneva airport has one.

• The thread ‘Itinerary feedback 9 days in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.