Itinerary for 7-10 April (base is Lucerne)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 13:21:02 #808668

Hi ,

I reach Basel airport on 7 April 2016 and am staying in Lucerne till 10 April 2016.

1. By reading Slowpoke’s reply to some other forum, I gather that this was not the best season to visit Alps. What is the type of itinerary suggested for this time? I wanted to go to RIGI as well as TITLIS. Is TITLIS a good idea to go ?

2. Also, is it better to do scenic trains than visiting several peaks since the weather may not be at its best.

3. Is there anywhere where there are accurate predictions of the weather for these 4 days?

4. I am a little worried that I planned my trip in the low season. Hope there will not be major disappointments. Hope I can cover (1) Rhine falls, (2) Mt RIGI, (3) Mt TITLIS and (4) STANSERHORN (5) One of the scenic routes (6) LUCERN and BERN sight seeing in 3.5 days.

5. Is it a better idea to do city sight seeing like ZURICH, BERN, LUCERN than mountain peaks?

Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    20 March 2016 at 13:40:49 #849589

Hi priyag2016,

1. It’s not the best season but you can still have a wonderful time. The most important thing is the weather of the day but you can’t plan for that anyway. Any season is good as long as you prepare a little so you know what to expect (don’t expect to ski in summer, or to do high Alpine hiking in winter; don’t visit a cable car without checking the timetable as it might be closed in low season). Please also see myswissalps.com/ besttimetovisit.

2. Both activities are perfectly fine. Just don’t visit a peak when it rains or snows on the top as the views is the main reason to go there.

3. A few days before Swiss forecasts start to make sense. Check again on the prior evening. Looking at forecasts now for April 7 is not useful.

5. No, definitely not. The cities are really nice but the mountains is what Switzerland makes unique. Visit those if the weather allows it. Save the cities for less ideal weather or if there are museums or anything specific you’d like to see there.

Don’t worry, just have some plans for any kind of weather and you’ll have a great time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2016 at 13:59:49 #849590

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Are there links which are accurate for the previous day or 2 days before? Is the Swiss forecasts link you pasted the best to check the weather?

2. We don’t prefer skiing – only sight seeing. That being the case, are the views from top of Pilatus as well as Titlis different? I understand the cogwheel is closed in Pilatus. So, I am wondering if I should do TITLIS as well RIGI. Any suggestions?

Regards

Priya

Arno
    15481 posts
    20 March 2016 at 14:07:24 #849591

Hi Priya,

1. The linked forecast is very good and it’s the exact same one you can watch on TV every night after the news.

2. You can best check our Pilatus, Titlis and Rigi pages and see what you like best. There’s a lot of details and also various photo’s. And again check the weather before going. It might be sunny on Mount Rigi because it’s close to the lake and cloudy on Mount Titlis, for example.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for 7-10 April (base is Lucerne)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.