Itinerary for munich to bern via zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2012 at 20:12:59 #805509

Hello again. I posted last night but had no tentative itinerary or places other than Zermatt as certain destinations. We have been putting some ideas together and are thinking of doing the following during our 6 day, 5 night trip.

Lucern (1 night)
    Berner Oberland (Grimmelwald, Wengen, Murren, Grindenwald?? via Glacier Express??)
    Zermatt (2 nights)
    Montreaux (1 night – is this worth it?)
    Geneva (1 night)

I would really appreciate your thoughts — this is just a beginning point for us since our travel is not until 9/19. Thank you so very much!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 July 2012 at 10:04:14 #836871

Hi maryb. I just answered your other question, advising to stay in one region mainly. This is a very different plan, but if sightseeing throughout the country is what you want to do, that’s fine of course! It will be more hectic this way, but also allows you to see more of the country. Since you still have time for preparations, you can just browse this site (the forum, day trip and hiking sections) and other tourism websites to find out what appeals to you.

If you’ll be coming from Munich and want to visit the towns you mentioned, you can best get to Lucerne first, then the Bernese Oberland (not by Glacier Express as that would be a huge detour; try the Golden Pass instead), then Zermatt via the regional Lötschberg Express, then Montreux and Geneva.

As you’re traveling in September, you can use the 2 for 1 offer I mentioned previously. Consider a 2 for 1 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass or the 2 for 1 4 day Swiss Saver Pass (you could even buy two sets to cover your entire stay).

Would you continue further questions in this topic and not in your previous one? Thank you :-)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2012 at 22:59:04 #836872

Thanks so very much. Does it look like we will give up hiking and gemutlichkeit because we are doing so much? If so, how would you alter our itinerary? We really appreciate your input and advice!

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 August 2012 at 9:35:18 #836873

Hello maryb. Staying in one or two towns only will be more relaxed during a short stay. But what’s most important is your personal preference. You can best check the timetable, find out about traveling times and then decide what kind of holiday you’re looking for.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 August 2012 at 11:26:24 #836874

We have decided to add a day to do the Glacier Express. Here is our itinerary.
    9-19 — Munich to St. Moritz (overnight St. Moritz)
    9-20 — Glacier Express to Zermatt (overnight in Zermatt)
    9-21 — Zermatt and environs (overnight in Zermatt)
    9-22 — Zermatt to Interlaken and Interlaken sightseeing (overnight in Interlaken)
    9-23 — Interlaken and environs (overnight in Interlaken, Wengen, Grindelwald?????)
    9-24 — Interlaken and environs (overnight in Interlaken, Wengen, Grindelwald????)
    9-25 — Train to Lucerne for day (overnight in Lucerne)
    9-26 — Train to Zurich airport — depart to USA
    Questions: what passes should we buy? 2 of the 2 for 1 Swiss Saver? How do we then pay for the Glacier Express? Also, which places should we stay in Bernese Oberland and Zermatt? Any suggestions from personal experience?
    Thanks so much.
    Maryb

Hello Maryb. Yes, you should definitely go with two sets of the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. The Glacier Express will be fully covered, except for reservation fees. It’s recommendable to reserve your seats well in advance. As for towns in the Bernese Oberland: that depends on whether you want to be located as centrally as possible (Interlaken would be best in that case) or wether you prefer peace and quiet (Wilderswil, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen can be recommended). Apart from the hotel selections I mentioned for Interlaken and Zermatt, hotel tips are also available for St. Moritz, Lucerne and all remaining towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2012 at 0:12:36 #836875

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

I believe you said you made recommendations on hotels for interlachen and zermatt but I cannot locatebthem. Can you please direct me?

Also, I want to make sure I do the passes right. We should do the saver not the flexi, correct? I will need to buy that to use when reserving the glacier express I believe but I’m not sure how to make that happen online.

Finally, is any one of the glacier express trains (907, 908, etc.) preferrable to any than any other? And would you recommend first or second class?

Thanks again!!
    Maryb

maryb in minnesota, USA

Arno
    15482 posts
    5 August 2012 at 1:38:29 #836876

Hello Maryb,

Hotel suggestions can be found on our Interlaken and Zermatt pages. All town pages are listed here. As for the passes: you can add one 4-day Swiss Saver Pass (not Flexi indeed) to your shopping cart here at Rail Europe. Then go back to that page and add the second pass to your cart. Then go to this page and add your seats for the Glacier Express. First class seats are a great expercience if you can afford them, but the views are the same from the second class coaches. Please be aware that you need a first class pass then as well, or an upgrade ticket to pay for the price difference between first and second class. Either train 905 or 909 would be fine. Those are the ones going directly from St. Moritz to Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2012 at 11:58:31 #836877

Thank you once again for all the recommendations. We got the Swiss passes and the tickets for the Glacier Express. We are now onto our time in the Jungfrau region. We have decided not to use Interlaken as our base but focus on Wengen. We will arrive from Zermatt to Wengen on 9/22 (will train schedules permit early arrival?) and hopefully would have quite some time to do exploration even on this day. We also would like to do a one day trip from our base in Wengen to Murren/Gimmelwald with some hiking (back to Wengen for night — is this possible?), then do our second day from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg with hiking and back to Wengen for the night (is this possible?) night before our departure for Lucerne on 9/25. Can you help me figure out trains? Is this a nice itinerary for these 3 days?

Thank you so much. 🙂

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 August 2012 at 12:08:12 #836878

Hi maryb. Did you use the timetable? It allows you to plan all trips. Just enter the departure and destination station and the preferred times of departure or arrival for each trip. Generally, your plans look fine and definitely doable! You may enjoy these hiking tips to pick some hikes in the Wengen/Mürren area.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for munich to bern via zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.