Itinerary Help Required

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2014 at 9:40:46 #806676

Hello Forum Members.

Need someone to quickly verify my itinerary for Switzerland.

Arrive Switzerland 11:10am from Venice-travel to Interlaken -sight seeing in Bern/Intetrlaken

Next day -Planning to a trip to Montreux .Arrive back in Interlaken –

Next day -Check out hotel ,do trip Jungfrajouch ,lauterbrennen,Wenggen and travel to Lucerne -will this time be adequate .want to visit ice palace,play in snow etc.

Next day -Trip to Mt Tiltlis from Lucerne.and then back to Zurich to catch the flights back to Aus,Flight at 9:45pm

How does this look like.Is it possbile to do this itinerary. .Also my friend suggested to hire a car from Zurich so I can drive leisurely rather than take train.I wanted to take the train.Now rethinking ,because then I can use car to do sightseeing’s in Interlaken ,like the thorn Castle etc.Also doesn’t have to adhere to train schedules..We are two adults and two kids age 8 and 4 .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 October 2014 at 18:00:31 #841194

Welcome to MySwissAlps Rajaus!

Your itinerary is doable, but quite full. You can check traveling times using the timetable (assuming you’ll be traveling by train). A day trip to Montreux, for example, requires hours of traveling from and to Interlaken. Personally, I’d prefer to stay within the Interlaken region on day 2 to save on traveling times; there’s more than enough to see and do over there. Tips can be found here. Your plans for day 3 are realistic, if you don’t mind another full day of traveling.

I wouldn’t hire a car for the trips you intend. I’m not sure when you plan to travel, but if it’s in Winter, traveling by car is not ideal. Moreover, quite some places can’t even by reached by car. This goes for all mountain tops, but also for some towns such as Wengen. So you’ll have to leave it down in the valley and pay for a parking spot. Parking in cities like Lucerne can be expensive. Switzerland’s public transportation is very efficient and comfortable. If you decide to travel by train, a rail pass would be convenient. Consider a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card for example. The free STS Family Card that can be obtained with these passes allows both of your children to travel along for free. Please find details through the links I provided and read this guide on how to pick the pass that suits your plans best.

I hope this helps you to plan your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2014 at 1:50:50 #841195

Thanks Annika for your quick reply.

We are travelling on 24th November 2014.reading your posts I have decided to go with the Swiss 4 day pass.

We will stick to Interlaken and surrondings for day2 as advised.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2014 at 22:15:24 #841196

When you pack too much into a day you see and remember little of what you do. Plus, you have no flexibility to follow interesting things that come along that you could not plan for. I believe travel is richer when it is deep, rather than wide. I’d recommend doing one or two things on your list each day and allow time to BE and enjoy. That way you will remember the experience rather than experience your time as a blur called Switzerland. You can always see other things on future trips. Switzerland is a country that beckons you back again and again. You can prepare your children for this trip by reading the multimedia ebook Grammy Takes Foster to Switzerland available from the the Apple iBookstore.

• The thread ‘Itinerary Help Required’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.