Scenic route from Lugano to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 9:30:14 #811578

Planning a trip with my 15 year old nephew in July. We arrive in Zurich, and planning to spend 2 nights in Luzern before a few days visiting friends in Lugano, then return to central switzerland e.g. around interlaken for some alpine days. I would love advice on a great rail route between Lugano and Interlaken, and whether we should break for hours (or overnight) in any spot along the way. I have heard the route via Domodossola to Brig is good.

thanks to all

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 April 2017 at 14:19:58 #862352

Hi sydneyjen, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, the route via Locarno-Domodossola-Brig would be great. You’ll travel over the Centovalli line, a beautiful, romantic route that crosses many forested valleys. You may spend the night in Brig and make a side trip to Zermatt the next day before moving on to Interlaken, or simply spend the night in Zermatt. From Brig/Zermatt you’d best catch the regional train via Goppenstein to Frutigen, Spiez and Interlaken. Note to enter Goppenstein as a via-station in the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble when looking for connections; otherwise it will only display the most direct route crossing a long tunnel and you’ll miss out on the beautiful views.

Alternatively you can catch the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Lucerne and then movo on to Interlaken, but since you’ve already visited Lucerne this may be less interesting to you.

Once your plans are more or less set I advise you look into rail passes to help you save money: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 21:23:02 #862353

thanks for that route. plan to take the Gothard express on the way down, so thanks for the alternative route for the return.

• The thread ‘Scenic route from Lugano to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.