Help with itinerary, Wengen, 1 wk, family of 5

• swisscat
    Participant
    18 posts
    27 July 2014 at 0:10:19 #806539

Vague outline itinerary for 1 week, please note day order is not set, just ideas for each day, in a vague order of priority if possible due to weather etc. Staying in Wengen, have half fare cards/family card and 6 day JF passes. Have packed lunches but may need/want to supplement them 🙂 Return flight is from Geneva, late, so could do Bern or Thun on route if necessary. There are 5 of us, the youngest being 14 and the smallest and least adventurous being myself (slightly over 14 – a few times : – 0 )

Arriving next week from Geneva, weather isn’t looking wonderful!

1) Jungfraujoch and associated attractions, fun park, ice palace etc – lunch at Kleine Scheidegg?

2)Grutschalp, Murren, Schilthorn

3) Grindelwald, First, Bachsee, First flier, Trotti bikes (+glacier?)

4) Brienz (lake/train which order?) + either Ballenberg or Giessbach falls or Brienzer Rothorn (apparently this has undergone some recent storm damage – any updates?)

5) Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike (I know we could do this on the way to JF but would prefer to get to JF earlier in case the weather breaks)

6)Bern/Thun (with Thunersee?)

A) Lauterbrunnen, Staubach/Trummelbach falls

B) Wilderswil/Schynige platte

C) Harder Kulm/Niederhorn/Niesen

D) Beatushoehlen ?

A/B/C/D are extras/add ons, where could we add them or which should we include/miss?

Our trip encompasses Swiss National day and a Sunday as full days, are there any of the above trips that are best scheduled/avoided on these days (I live near the coast and I know that there are some days I wouldn’t consider going near the seafront/shopping areas).

Of the trips that aren’t included with the JF pass, which are worth paying extra for over those that are included? (ignoring the obvious exclusions JF and Schilthorn)

Please feel free to point out any omissions/problems/alternative suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    28 July 2014 at 11:05:21 #840729

Hi Swisscat!

The way you’ve scheduled your trips per day looks really fine. It’s very doable and not too much. Let’s take a closer look at some of your plans:

1) and 5) could indeed be combined. Generally, weather is best in the morning, so in most cases it would be best to visit the Jungfraujoch first. If weather is still fine and if you feel like hiking when you’re back at Kleine Scheidegg, you could then walk to Männlichen. This might not be the best direction, as Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg allows full views of the mountains ahead of you, but since you specifically ask for how to combine plans, this could be an option. In all cases, consult weather forecasts shortly before leaving and adapt your plans accordingly.

4) Indeed, the cog train to Brienzer Rothorn currently only runs to Planalp and the last section up to Brienzer Rothorn is closed. This will last at least until July 31. Updates are to be found at the Brienzer Rothorn website. As for the train/boat order: this too should depend on weather circumstances. A boat trip is most fun at that time of the day when weather is best. If that doesn’t seem to matter, my preference would be to get to Ballenberg by train, spend a few hours there, return by boat and (if you still have time and energy) visit the Giessbach falls on your way back. Do mind that Ballenberg is quite large and that you could spend nearly all day there, so you may not want to plan too many other activities that day.

6) If you have time, it would be great to include a boat trip over Lake Thun. But again, it depends on how long you plan to stay in Bern and/or Thun and if you plan any other trips that day; see below.

Most of your extra plans can be added to one of the day plans you described, but that will result in long days. You could visit Lauterbrunnen and the Staubbach falls when returning from the Jungfraujoch and/or the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike. The trip to Schynige Platte is great if weather is clear, but is hard to combine with your plans. In theory, you could visit the Niesen or Niederhorn on your way to or from Thun/Bern. Both offer splendid views, quite different from the ones at Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg, Männlichen or Schilthorn, and would be worth your money – but only if skies are clear.

Sundays and August 1 will result in more crowded trips and attractions, as the Swiss themselves have spare time too and will get out. You may want to avoid the most popular attractions such as the Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn, but then again: if weather is fine and if forecasts for the other days are bad, I’d personally get up there anyway!

My general advice is to plan per day, closely looking at weather forecasts – hoping that the current situation will improve! – and to set the Staubbach falls, Giessbach falls, Ballenberg and maybe the boat trips as bad weather alternatives.

Have a great trip!

• The thread ‘Help with itinerary, Wengen, 1 wk, family of 5’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.