Itinerary Recommendations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2012 at 12:58:43 #805355

I will be traveling in Europe this summer for six weeks. I have family in Zurich so we will use this as home base as we visit several countries throughout our stay. While in Zurich we plan on doing a few day trips (Rhine Falls, Luzern). I would also like to plan a 4-5 day trip in the south western part of Switzerland. I have meticulously planned trips in Italy and France and have run out of brain power to plan this part of my trip so any suggestions would be appreciated.

My initial thoughts are to take a train from Zurich to Interlaken area (stay in Murren for 2 nights), from there we could travel to Montreux (1 night) and then head to Zermatt (1 night) before going back to Zurich. Is this too ambitious? Are there other cities we should consider?

I will be traveling with 2 kids (9 & 11). While in this part of the country what are must dos with kids?

I would also like your opinion on train passes. I will definitely get the Swiss Family Card so the kids can travel for free. I was thinking of getting the Half Fare card. Do you think the Swiss pass is a better option?

Please help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 June 2012 at 13:18:46 #836379

Hello tcatgm, and welcome to the forum. I don’t think your plan is too ambitious, especially not if you really want to see some of the southern and south-western parts of the country. It will require long traveling times though and it’s quite relaxed to pick only 1 or 2 towns for your overnight stays. Please check the timetable, enter your trips and decide whether that’s acceptable to you and your family. If you prefer enjoying the Alps by hiking and by being outside, you could concentrate on Zurich, Lucerne and the Interlaken region instead (you could even make a day trip from Interlaken to Zermatt and back). Generally, mountain trains and cable cars are true attractions for children. Consider the Traffic museum in Lucerne as a bad weather alternative; it’s really fun for children too.

The question which rail pass is best, is a bit hard to answer as long as you haven’t finalized your plans. If you plan to travel to Montreux and Zermatt, I think you should consider a Swiss Saver Pass or a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. The Swiss Pass offers lots of freedom and allows you to keep your schedule flexible: you can travel wherever you like, whenever you like. If you end up making shorter trips only, the Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good option. These general guidelines and calculation tips can help you out as well.

• The thread ‘Itinerary Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.