Jungfraujoch pass for 4 people & tweaking our car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2015 at 21:18:21 #807933

We are quite sure that we will be traveling by car as we like to make stops on the way & be a bit spontaneous. (I also believe that it will be cheaper since we have 4 people.) $225.00 US dollars for 4 days picking it up on Day 2 in Zurich & getting rid of it Day 5 in Geneva.

1. We fly into Zurich late at night & crash the 1st night. (Day 1)

2. We pick up our car in Zurich & then drive to Lucerne (Day 2)

3. We drive from Lucerne to Lautterbrunnen Valley where we stay for 3 nights at the Lauterbrunnen Valley Hostel (thought that this would be fun for the kids to experience); we stay for Day 3, 4, & 5. We would like to do the Jungfrau if we happen to have a clear day; I believe the price is approx. $180.00. Since we are there for 3 days, we thought that we would take the various gondolas & trains to the various small villages around there, SO, DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO BUY THE JUNGFRAUJOCH TRAIN PASS which would cover the Jung frau at 100%, correct? It would also cover all the comings & goings of “let’s go here & let’s go there”, right during our 3 day visit? I just have know idea how expensive all those various modes of transportation will be.

4. Near the end of day 5, we need to drive to Geneva to drop off our 21 year old & 23 year old who will fly out of Genevea to our relatives in Hungary while we attend a conference in Montreux. THEN, we thought that we would drop off our car in Geneva & then the 2 of us take a train to Montreux for the 3 day conference for hubby & myself.

5. Day 8, the 2 of us take the train back to Geneva, meet our children who will have come back from Hungary, & then flight home from Geneva.

I know in all of my reading that everyone recommends the trains for the main travel, but given our itinerary with the conference, I don’t see any advantages……HOWEVER, I am still open for ideas as I just have my car on hold.

Thank-you for all of your insightfulness!

Angela

We have 2 20 years traveling with us.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 September 2015 at 13:18:58 #846113

Hi Angela, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Is it the Jungfrau VIP Pass you are considering? It covers a lot but not everything. Not included is the Schilthorn, as well as the boats from/to Interlaken. The Männlichen cable cars are not free but 50% off. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfrauvippass/ validity for details.

A Swiss Half Fare Card could be an alternative. It gives you 50% off nearly all transportation in Switzerland, so also in Lucerne and Montreux, and your train ticket from Geneva to Montreux. See myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard please.

If you want to compare passes price wise, I’d suggest you read this guide.

I see your point about being flexible with a car, but I don’t think it applies so much to your plans. A car is convenient to visit remote valleys or road passes without (much) public transport. But Lucerne, Montreux and Geneva all have excellent public transport. Parking can be quite a challenge to find, and it’s always paid. Local public transport is free in various towns by the way, if you book an hotel there (e.g. in Montreux). You don’t need a car in Lauterbrunnen either, as most of the region is car free (see here). If luggage is a concern, please read this page.

Tips about saving money can be found here.

I hope this was useful!

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch pass for 4 people & tweaking our car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.