Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis in 3 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 12:29:17 #809646

Hi all,

I will be traveling from munich to interlaken. We are 2 adults and 2 kids (4 years old and an 8 month )

I had planned 2 nights stay at interlaken for juangfrau and then we head to paris.

My friend had suggested me to visit mt titlis as well. Are mt titlis and juangfrau doable from Interlaken?

Or would you suggest below itinerary

Day 1 – munich to lucerne
    Day 2 – mt titlis then to interlaken
    Day 3 – juangfrau and then to paris or stay at interlaken overnight and leave for paris on day 4.

Also please suggest whether to take a train ride or a car ride from munich to lucerne / interlaken will be suitable?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 July 2016 at 0:42:02 #853973

Hi mrali-

Nice to see you in the forum. Welcome.

Your itinerary is quite full, so much so tha it might not be enjoyable. And even a part of one day of cloudy weather could make the Jungfraujoch trip a waste of money.

When are you traveling? Makes a difference for weather in the Alps:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 9:05:31 #853974

Hi Slowpoke;

Thanks for your straight forward reply.

I am visiting switzerland next tueday. I have thought about it and I am thinking of visiting only one of them. Which place would you suggest as a base for either jungfrau or titlis? interlaken or lucerne? I have 2 nights available as per my itinerary.

please advice?

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 July 2016 at 10:14:59 #853975

Hi mrali,

Interlaken would be the better base for a Jungfraujoch visit; Lucerne makes more sense or the Titlis. Please check the “How to get there” tabs of the pages I linked to and the timetable to find details about routes and traveling times. Which trip should be preferred is a very personal decision. If you can’t choose between Jungfraujoch and Titlis, you’d best study the Lake Lucerne and Bernese Oberland pages and find out which regions appeals to you more in terms of scenery and further day trips. Doing both is still an option, especially if you’re able to extend your stay to 4 instead of 3 days.

Please note that a rail pass, such as the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass, will probably save you money. Here‘s how to calculate which pass suits your needs. Buying online is recommended, as that’s much easier than having to get out at a railway station during your inbound trip from Munich and buy your passes at a manned desk. Mind to order within the next couple of days, since you’re leaving next week. I’d recommend to get print at home passes from http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. These too take a few days to process, so don’t wait too long. You’ll also need additional train tickets from Munich to the Swiss border and from the Swiss border to Paris.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 11:03:17 #853976

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the advices.

I can make my plan for 3 nights (extending for a day), but with kids we don’t like to change hotel after a day’s stay. Mt. Titlis and Jungfraujoch would mean 1 night stay at lucerne and 2 nights stay at interlaken. 1 day stay is what we want to avoid/ and its roughly 7 hours ride back and forth from interlaken.

We have Jungfraujoch a priority now 🙂

cheers!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 July 2016 at 13:32:56 #853977

Hi Mrali –

Nice to see that you have got your priorities established. Too many people try to do everything and end up seeing nothing.

It is good to spend more than one night in the Jungfrau area, as the weather can change rapidly. You don’t want to go up there only to see the inside of a cloud. Not very scenic.

If you have a few minutes to spare, this link may interest you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 10:27:42 #853978

Hi Slowpoke,

This indeed is a very nicely written document. However, I have booked my hotel for Interlaken. Lets hope that the weather stays kind for us 🙂

One more thing, Since we only plan to go to Jungfraujoch, and just the transfer, do we need to buy any pass? If my calculation is not wrong, we don’t need any. please advice?

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 July 2016 at 12:04:33 #853979

Hi mrali,

Yes, as mentioned above a rail pass will help you save money. I’m not sure how you made your calculations, but here’s a quick example: an inbound ticket Swiss border-Interlaken on your way in from Munich, return tickets to the Jungfraujoch and outbound tickets Interlaken-Swiss border on your way to Paris will amount to roughly CHF 360 per person for full fare tickets (depending on your exact routes and connections). A Swiss Half Fare Card costs CHF 120 and you’ll pay approximately CHF 180 for the 50% discounted tickets, which is CHF 300 in total.

Please refer to the links in my previous post for further details, the recommended purchase option and the note about not waiting too long if you’d like to order online.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 15:33:24 #853980

Hi Annika,

My bad. I’m traveling tonight to Germany. Please advice from where I can get half fare card?

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 July 2016 at 15:47:13 #853981

Buy them at your first train station in Switzerland- either Basel or Zürich. You may by it at the ticket counter or at the “Reisebüro”nearby, whichever has shorter lines (and shorter opening hours at he Reisebüro). It will take several minutes, since there are two of you. Kids may get a special card along with yours….not sure about those details.

If you miss a connection –

likely- there will be another train in a few minutes. There is frequent service to interlaken.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 15:56:16 #853982

Thank you guys for the guidance 🙂

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 July 2016 at 16:17:20 #853983

Hi mrali,

That’s too bad. The Swiss Half Fare Card is for sale at Swiss railway stations, as explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price. You’ll have to get out at the first Swiss staffed railway station of the Swiss Half Fare Card validity area (please see the map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty) during your inbound trip from Munich in order to buy the pass and profit from the discounts. Mind the opening hours of the manned desks. I can’t tell which station that is, as this depends on your exact inbound route. Zurich is an option indeed, but in that case you’ll miss the discount for the first Swiss leg of your journey.

By the way, there’s still another option if you’re able to make a print during your stay in Germany, for example from your hotel’s reception desk. You can still order a print at home Swiss Half Fare Card with next Tuesday as your start date if you order now through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis in 3 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.