Jungfrau marathon 9 September – trains busy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 14:26:48 #812961

I have noticed there is a Jungfrau Marathon on the day we travel from Lucerne to Wengen.

Does anyone have any idea what we should expect in the way of delays travelling through Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen?

I think we will book 1st class train ticket as I note that 2nd class train travel is free when you enter this marathon and so assume 2nd class will be VERY busy.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2017 at 1:16:27 #868334

<<“I think we will book 1st class train ticket as I note that 2nd class

train travel is free when you enter this marathon and so assume 2nd

class will be VERY busy.”>>

A good idea…but there is no First Class from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen and,maybe not even from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. The isue will be how many trains they can cram into a short period if time. The trains are normally very short..2 or 3 cars…

The BOB (Berner Oberland Bahn) lays on extra trains with extra cars routinely during busy times… The schedule become a fiction. So, you may have trouble stuffing your luggage in with you, and there may be minor delays, but,you’ll get there pretty close to schedule.

That is my best guess based on my own experience in busy times, but not during a marathon.

Perhaps Arno or Annika or Lucas have a more “close up” answer.

Slowpoe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 1:53:50 #868335

Hi Steph,

In addition to Slowpoke’s comments, please see my post of Aug 10, 2017 – 5:10 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/zermatt-and-mt-titlis-questions

If it were me, I would be travelling first class from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen, and reserving seats from Luzern to Interlaken Ost.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 8:12:00 #868336

I haven’t seen or found any information about crowded trains locally.

I’ve found some comments from last year by people that it really isn’t too bad except the trains going from Interlaken up to Kleine Scheidegg on the morning of the race until maybe 2 pm.

Sounds like it will be fun to be there! You can reserve tickets from Lucerne to Interlaken here.

Lucas

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    15 August 2017 at 15:13:04 #868337

Lucas’ comment has been my experience. I’ve been in Wengen on Marathon Day probably a dozen times. The first runners come through around 11:00 am, the last about two hours later. Therefore the trains from Interlaken to Wengen are full of “chasers” (the runners themselves do not take the train) from the beginning of the race (8:30 am in Interlaken) until around 12:30 or 1:00 pm.

I agree with Alpenrose’s advice re: first class from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen, reserving seats for the Luzern to Interlaken segment (no reservations possible beyond Interlaken). Train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is second class only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 17:38:26 #868338

I wonder if any runner has taken the train? 😉 haha

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    17 August 2017 at 16:04:32 #868339

Ha! Actually I mis-spoke. ALL the runners take the trains — but on the way down!

That said, I have seen a couple of runners that twisted an ankle or something earlier in the race continue on via train to at least not miss out on the general merriment of the event.

It really is great fun. Aussiesteph, if you can arrange your schedule to leave Lucerne quite early (or even the day before) you can get in on the party in Wengen.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau marathon 9 September – trains busy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.