Jungfrau Pass viable ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2010 at 0:25:10 #803856

Hello, this forum has been really useful, providing good information on Switzerland travelling. I enjoy reading other posts for my moving about later in Switzerland.

Would anyone help confirm if my comparison is correct :
    I will buy a 15D Swiss Pass. With this Swiss Pass,

1. To Schilthorn return ticket, CHF 35.7 (50% discount with Swiss Pass)
    2a. To Jungfrau return, CHF 123.75 ( Wengen-Kschediegg-Jungfrau-Kschediegg-Grindelwald, after 25% Discount)
    2b. To Jungfrau, CHF 111.75 (Wengen-Jungfrau-Wengen, after 25% discount)
    2c. To Jungfrau, CHF 121.15 (Grindelwald-Jungfrau-Grindelwald, after 25% discount)
    3. Grindelwald First (cable car) return ticket, chf 26.5 (after 50% discount). I am not sure is this the right price ?

(the 2a,2b,2c are for plan B/C base on my possible lodging, considering the weather).

The prices for Schilthorn and Jungfrau excursion already amount to at least – CHF (35.7 + 111.75) = CHF 147.45

With valid Swiss Pass, the Jungfrau Pass cost CHF 150

Is it sound if I buy a Jungfrau Pass (on top of my 15D Swiss Pass) instead ? Then, I could do the Mannlichen cable car etc

Glacier Express(GE) questions: I checked out that the 905 and 907 GE both depart at 0917hr from St Moritz. Both trains stops at Disentis, but 907 ‘rest’ longer: 21min (905 ‘rest’ for 11min, 907 arrive at Zermatt 20 min later).

A silly question, For the GE from St Moritz to Zermatt, seating at which side of the train had better scenary – left or right ? I know both side are equally good. Rather if it is you, which side will you reserve ?

Does traveller gets to go down the train to stretch their foot before continuing the next leg ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    10 June 2010 at 8:52:51 #831372

Hello MeltyMel,
    As for you questions 1, 2a, 2b and 2c: the amounts of discounts you mentioned are correct. If you need more information, you can check the Swiss Pass page and click the link “Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid”. This will show a map with all discounted tracks.
    Question 3: Also correct. To make sure you can always check the Jungfrau Railways website. This site also covers the questions you have about Schilthorn and Jungfrau Excursions.

As far as the the Jungfrau Pass is concerned: If you only want to do the trips you mentioned plus the Männlichen Cable car, it will not be economical for you to purchase a Jungfrau Pass on top of the Swiss Pass you already have, however, if you would like to do more gondolas, cable cars, or mountain trains it might be worth your while.

The Glacier Express leaving from St. Moritz at 09.17 a.m. departs as one train, but will be seperated into two trains in Disentis, which depart shortly after each other, this explains the longer stop for the 907.

If I were you, I would try to take a seat at the left side of the train (in driving direction) – then you will have the best view, though the view is not bad at all on both sides. This is not a silly question!

Yes, you can leave the train at stations, but you will have to check the time table to get in the train in time again.

I hope this helped.
    Wishing you a nice stay in Switzerland,

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2010 at 3:53:39 #831373

Thanks for the advice, it sure helps a great deal.

I should think the Swiss Pass is all time useful. Will stick to that. After posting, I realise that even I get another Jungfrau card, I still have to pay chf83+ for Jungfrau and Schilthorn.

May I also inquire the same seating question: For Bernina Express from Tirano to St Moritz, seating at the left or right is preferred ?

Thanks

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 June 2010 at 4:08:50 #831374

Hello MeltyMel,
    Though again the views on both sides are beautiful, also here the left side would be my first choice.

Have fun!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2010 at 11:12:10 #831375

Those replies are lovely and definitely of great help.

Thanks a lot.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Pass viable ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.