Jungfrau with family; free tickets for the kids?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2016 at 3:59:02 #808713

Hello,

We are a family of 5 with 3 kids age 12, 8 and 6 on our first visit to Europe visiting Italy, Switzerland and France. We will be travelling through Italian border at Tirano and leaving through Geneva or Zurich.

1. We will be staying 2 nights in Interlaken or Grindelwald to visit Jungfrau top. My rough estimates for rail costs indicate the Swiss Half Fare Card with the Swiss Family Card for kids may be economical.

I’m not certain if the Family Card will provide free tickets for the kids on the Jungfrau private rail or if it would be half fare (CHF92 from Grindelwald to Jungfrau Return). What would be the child fare with the Swiss Family Card? Would it be better if I bought the Junior Card (CHF 30) if that provides free tickets for the kids?

2. My second question is if there are any night trains leaving Switzerland to Paris with sleeping compartments? If that’s not an option then what’s the closest city in Germany that has nights trains to Paris?

Thanks

Sam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2016 at 11:51:51 #849810

Hi Sam,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, you will get a free Swiss Family Card along with the Swiss Half Fare Card for the adults. The kids would not even need free tickets. They don’t need tickets at all for the Jungfraujoch ride or any other trip covered by the Swiss Half Fare Card. You can print both cards at home so you’ll be ready for traveling immediately: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/pric e.

2. There are no night trains from Switzerland to Paris, and I don’t know of any from Germany either. The high speed trains during day time only take a couple of hours. It’s just too short nowadays to do this during the night. But you can check for options in the timetable: myswissalps.com/ timetable. If you want to save time you’d best book a very early or very late train so you have most of the day left for other activities. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2016 at 15:54:07 #849811

Thanks Arno.

I’ll be travelling the Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur arriving 1820 and then going onward to Interlaken. Do you know if there are any trains from Chur to Interlaken?

Regards, Sam

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 March 2016 at 8:54:24 #849812

Hi Sam!

Sure there are. Did you check the timetable page Arno referred to? All connections can be found there, and we explain how to use it as well. Please let us know in case you’re having trouble using the timetable.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau with family; free tickets for the kids?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.