Jungfrau train; can hop on and off at any station?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2016 at 15:59:54 #808908

Hi,

I would like to enquire on the followings as I couldn’t find much info on these for Jungfrau train.

I would be departing from Interlaken to Jungfrau, and understand from the website that I can go up via Lauterbrunnen and come down via Grindelwald, or vice versa.

If I buy return ticket on the same day, am I free to hop on and off at any station along the journey?

If no, how does it work? At every station that it stops by, I couldn’t get off? Or I can only get off for few minutes and have to board the same train again?

If yes, I can stay at 1 particular station for as long as I wish? Is there fixed seats allocated? What if one of the train is overloaded?

Also understood from the website that weather is important, however, would the tickets be sold out if I only buy on the day itself? Is the ticket fast selling in June?

Appreciate the advice as I couldn’t decide how long would I need and what time should I depart.

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 8:12:41 #850767

Hello,

– Yes you can traval to Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch through Grindelwald and through Lauterbrunnen / Wengen. When you co through Lauterbrunnen/Wengen up you must sit on the right site of the train for the nice view on the mountains.

Through Grindelwald you must sit also on the left siet by departure in Grindelwald.

– You can stay out of the train on any station and you travel with a next train further. This is not possible on the stations Eigernordwand and Eismeer (Jungfraubahn) On this two stations there is only a short stop to look on the surroundings.

-There are only fixed seats for travelgroups. But there are many seats in every train. When it is overloaded, you must unfortunately wait on the next train…….

-You can buy your tickets on the day itself, the tickets never sold out ! (and fast selling on any Railwaystation or Railwayticket machine).

-You can best depart early in the morning from Interlaken, about 08.00 o clock.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

Arno
    15479 posts
    15 April 2016 at 12:25:18 #850768

The chance of tickets selling out is very small. It only happened a few times in high season: myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 0:57:28 #850769

Could Annika, Arno, or anybody tell me how to avoid missing a transit train if we are going from Zurich to Jungfraujoch via Interlaken Ost.

I mean we will buy a Swiss Travel Pass/Card and want to save time by hopping on the next/earliest train upon arrival to Interlaken, but I am afraid the time gap/window may be short and we may waste time going to the ticket windows/office.

May we just board the train to Jungfraujoch and pay on board, or do we have to go in the Interlaken station, buy tickets, and then validate them?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 8:17:53 #850770

>> Could Annika, Arno, or anybody tell me how to avoid missing a transit train if we are going from Zurich to Jungfraujoch via Interlaken Ost.<<

If you are going to the Jungfraujoch as a day trip from Zürich, you can buy your tickets at Zürich Hauptbahnhof (Zürich Main Station) before boarding the train to Interlaken Ost.

The trip from Zürich to the Jungfraujoch will take around 4 hrs 20 minutes, so leaving early might be a good idea – say around 7 am or 8 am at the latest. The fastest route to Interlaken Ost is via Bern, and if it’s a weekday, you will run into a lot of commuters between Zürich and Bern (where a lot of them will get out). If I’m travelling between Zürich and Bern at that time of day, I prefer to reserve a seat – just for the Zürich-Bern sector.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 8:32:34 #850771

You can buy the Swiss travel pass also on-line: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

You must always have a ticket bevore you enter a train or mountain railway. The ticket to Jungfraujoch you can also buy in Zurich. Also the day bevore.

Are you arriving at Zurich Airport (time ?) or is it a daytrip Zurich > Jungfraujoch > Zurich ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 8:50:13 #850772

Thanks Brahms and Arno for the replies.

To summarise:

1. Generally tickets will not sold out, we can buy on the day itself, except during peak period. Is June peak period?

2. If the weather is not good, what other activities can we do at Interlaken for the whole day?

3. In the worst case scenario, if the last train is full and we could not hop on, what can/should we do?

4. Basically, we buy the return train ticket from Interlaken OST to Jungraujoch for a particular date, and we could board the train at any time? Then why does the jungfrau website suggest for seat reservation?

Arno
    15479 posts
    17 April 2016 at 9:00:45 #850773

Hi yh2511,

1. Early June is not peak season, late June can be. Hard to predict.
    2. Please see: myswissalps.com/ interlaken/activities.
    3. You can always board the train, even if all seats are taken.
    4. Yes, tickets are valid for the day. They may suggest to book seats because it’s a source of income and on busy days it’s the only way to 100% guarantee a seat. But 95% of the time it’s not necessary, so you can be flexible and pick any train you want. Trains that require a seat reservation are marked like that in the timetable. This only applies to a few trains in Switzerland.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2016 at 16:50:52 #850774

Thanks Arno for your explanation!

I understand these now =)

• The thread ‘Jungfrau train; can hop on and off at any station?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.