Jungfrau Travel Pass – discrepancy in coverage?

• Skatie
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 June 2016 at 22:26:09 #809363

I’m leaning towards purchasing the 3 day Jungfrau travel pass for our time in Wengen, but I see a discrepancy in some of the coverage and am looking for the official site to confirm what is included. When I look at the validity map referenced here, It appears the cable cars/gondolas from Wengen to Mannlichen and Mannlichen to Grindelwald are free with this pass. However, when I was looking at the price options from this site, I click on the Viator link and it says “The Jungfrau pass entitles you to a 50% reduction for the Grindelwald–Mannlichen and the Wengen–Mannlichen gondolas”. Is there an official site I can go to and confirm if these gondolas are included in pass or just 50% off? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 June 2016 at 6:52:27 #852653

Hi Skatie,

The map on our website is correct, both cable cars are free. You’ll find that on the site of the local railway company as well, but they don’t have a map: http://www.jungfrau.ch/de/som mer/tourismus/ausflugs ziele/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/angebote/#jungf rau-travel-pass_1020. Retailers are unfortunately not always 100% accurate with their pass details, but everyone is selling the same pass, so whether you’d buy it from Viator or elsewhere does not matter; these cable cars are included. I will let them know so they can correct it. Thank you for mentioning it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2016 at 18:02:41 #852654

Hi,

I am currently staying in Wengen for 4 nights. Today we took the gondola from Wengen up to Mänlichenn where we did the Royal Walk for a nice view. I was looking forward to the hike to Kleine Scheidegg however it was closed due to snow 🙁

Because we have the 3-day Jungfrau pass we took the cable car down to Grund, then the train to Grindelwald (yes, it’s all included) for lunch. Despite the horrible weather forecast, we had a beautiful day until later when it hailed like crazy at Kliene Scheidegg. We took the train to Eigergletscher (included), back to KS, then walked down toward Wengen but took the train at Wengernalp because by then we were quite cold and wet (despite good rain gear). By the time we got back to Wengen the weather was already better.

Because of the change in weather, we were very happy that we got the 3-day Jungfrau pass. The only downside is that because we have the pass, we are hiking less than we imagined because we want to get our money’s worth and the transportation system is so good it’s making us lazy! 😉 .

The map is correct and when you get to this area you will be able to pick up a printed map that not only shows the routes but also each hike with a number and the length of time to do them, which I find very useful. There are plenty of beautiful hikes but I do think, despite the price, that it is well worth getting the Jungfrau pass. This allows you to see more areas that you wouldn’t necessarily get to if you were just hiking from one place.

Enjoy your trip. We certainly are.

Skatie
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 June 2016 at 20:53:37 #852655

Thank you both for the confirmation! I like the flexibility of the pass for the reasons you just stated…I have plan A, B, and C laid out for each day, but based on the weather, we may end up with plan D and that’s why I think the Jungfrau pass plus the transfer pass will suit us best. Can’t wait to get there! Do I need to buy this pass in advance or can I just get it in Wengen?

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 June 2016 at 7:30:28 #852656

Hi Skatie,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket needs to be purchased in advance. To do so, you can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the ticket in 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. Other purchase options are here.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass can be purchased online or at a regional staffed train station. Please see here.

Skatie
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 June 2016 at 21:59:26 #852657

Thanks! Sorry one last question. Does the Jungfrau pass allow free travel on the funicular from Murren to Allmendhubel?

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 June 2016 at 12:36:32 #852658

Hi Skatie! No, this funicular isn’t displayed on the validity map, so it’s not included.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass – discrepancy in coverage?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.