Jungfrau Travel Pass vs Bernese Oberland Regional

• flmom11
    Participant
    8 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:45:56 #812396

My husband and I are putting the finishing touches on planning for our trip to Germany and Switzerland at the end of next month and we have everything set except for which train travel pass to purchase for the time we are in Switzerland. We will be in the area for 5 days/4 nights from August 1st through 5th. We will spend the first 3 nights in Wengen and our last night will be spent in Interlaken.

I have been reading extensively about the pass options and I understand the Half Fare Card, but I am struggling to understand the difference between the Jungfrau Travel Pass and Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. I look at the validity maps but they are so small and I have a hard time understanding which routes are covered vs reduced, so trying the spreadsheet is a challenge for me. I figured I would stop in here and see if could get some expert advice. We have a list of excursions we would like to do while in the area but we are going to remain flexible and pick and choose based on the weather and how we feel that day, so it’s a little hard to know which ones we will actually do. Below is my list of possible planned excursions, I know we will probably also just go into the villages and explore, based on this what do you suggest we purchase? Thanks in advance for your help and please set me straight if I have misunderstood what’s covered in these passes.

Mannlichen (from Wengen, hike to Kleine Scheideigg and return via train)

Grindelwald-First

Schilthorn

Jungfraujoch Top of Europe

Brienzer Rothorn

Harder Kulm

Lake Thun (Cruise to Castle)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 June 2017 at 11:25:55 #865721

Welcome to MySwissAlps, flmom11!

Yes, it requires some studying to thoroughly compare such passes. Did you try zooming in on the coverage maps? That may help you understand the details. Also, we have a list of covered attractions at the validity tab of our pass pages. Roughly, the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland covers a much larger area than the Jungfrau Travel Pass. So if you want to be flexible and adapt your plans to weather circumstances, the Regional-Pass offers more options. I think that’s the one I’d recommend based on your possible list of plans. Brienzer Rothorn and Schilthorn are not included in the Jungfrau Travel Pass, for example, but are free/discounted with the Regional-Pass.

Does that help?

flmom11
    Participant
    8 posts
    25 June 2017 at 13:58:55 #865722

Thank you for the warm welcome, I’m so glad I found this excellent website, it has so much great information! Yes it does help some and I have attempted to fill out the spreadsheet provided on this website. I think the one thing that would make the validity map easier to read would be if it had the specific routes labeled or a list of all covered routes vs discounted routes or even a lookup tool that would tell you once entering the route. If I’ve interpreted it correctly, I believe only the Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch are not covered by the Bernese Oberland Regional pass and they are discounted at 50% and 25% respectively? If I’m correct then the pass saves me a little more than the half fare card; but if you could confirm my understanding that would be great.

Thanks!!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:36:36 #865723

Hi flmom11,

Indeed, from the list you posted initially only Mürren – Schilthorn and Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch are not free of charge, but 50 and 25% off.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 15:39:43 #865724

You don’t mention how you are getting to the area or departing the area, which may impact your decisions. The BO pass can get you to/from Luzern or Bern and down to Brig (on the slower train I think). Note the 3/4 day Jungfrau Travel Pass does not include the boats. With either pass, you get a 25% reduction off the price if you have the 1/2 fare card. So, depending, you save about 1/2 the cost of the half fare card when you buy the pass, if that makes sense. Then you have the 1/2 fare card to help with the cost getting into and out of Switzerland. Wow, that sounds more confusing that I mean it to be. At the end of the day, we chose 1/2 fare card and a 4 day BO pass and not going to worry if we spent a few dollars more…

flmom11
    Participant
    8 posts
    25 June 2017 at 15:54:14 #865725

Actually what you explained was not confusing and made a lot of sense! I actually did not mention how we are getting there/departing because we already had that part worked out. We arrive into Wengen from Heidelberg, Germany and will be leaving Interlaken for Munich, Germany and we were able to find really great super saver fares through DB Bahn and we have a DB discount card since we are spending most of our time in Germany. I compared the cost of getting a Swiss transfer ticket or half fare card but the super saver fare + discount was the best price. I did not at that time look at the BO pass but since those legs are already purchased it’s a done deal. We are going to go with the 4-day BO pass, I contemplated adding the Half Fare Card but it ends up being a little more expensive that way. Thanks for all of the great advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 16:02:05 #865726

Ha, good to know there is someone out there that can understand me. I liked the BO pass way more than the other one; seemed to cover so much more and if the weather is horrible it would cover a day trip to Luzern or Bern. Like you, we snagged super-cheap fare heading to Italy on the Trenitalia site, so didn’t need to rely on a pass on the getaway day, but we have 2.5 days in Switzerland prior to getting to the BO, plus a 15 year old in tow, so the 1/2 fare card was a no brainer for us. Have fun!

flmom11
    Participant
    8 posts
    25 June 2017 at 16:09:33 #865727

Thanks! We cannot wait to experience Switzerland, we will be there for Swiss National Day and I think the fireworks in Wengen are going to be the most beautiful experience. I am also glad that if the weather isn’t great we can venture out a little bit, to Luzern or Bern, and it’s still covered on our pass. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass vs Bernese Oberland Regional’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.