Jungfraujoch + boat Interlaken to Thun from Bern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 4:01:37 #811483

Greetings !

I was planning a trip for my parents in June, however got stuck here. Would be helpful if someone can help me with this.

I’m staying in Bern and would probably visit Jungfraujoch with my parents. I was thinking we could spend a night in Grindelwald ( if neccessary) , then head to Jungfrau in the morning , following by taking a train to Interlaken , then from Interlaken to Thun by boat. Is it possible to complete the journey in a day or I can do more activities ? And where do I take the boat in Interlaken ?

Looking forward to see some answer . Merci !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 5:04:27 #861894

Hi Wennngiam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can search for all train schedules on the Swiss railways timetable here.
    It is roughly 3 hours by train from Bern to Jungfraujoch, then 2 hours back to Interlaken and then the Lake Thun cruise to Thun from Interlaken is about 2 hours as well. A very full day if you want to attempt it.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 5:10:42 #861895

Hey Lucas ,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

That’s why I was planning on spending a night in grindelwald. That would save much more time the next day. Also , should I get the tickets in advance for jungfrau or buy it on the day I’m travelling ? I’m afraid if I get the tickets now I would be experiencing unpleasant weather on that day.

Also one last question , does Bernina and glacier express runs daily because I do not find the information about it in SBB.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help and the infos given!

Best

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 5:17:01 #861896

Yes, Grindelwald is a nice option for you – if you need assistance on hotels we have a recommended list here.

As for the Bernina Express and Glacier Express, yes they run daily, except for a brief shut down of a few weeks in late October.

An easy way to find the train is to use the timetable I linked in my first post and enter the towns you wish to travel to and from (Chur to Zermatt for example on the Glacier Express, or Chur to Tirano on the Bernina Express).

The panoramic trains are listed as GEX or BEX respectively on the timetable.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 6:30:24 #861897

Hey Lucas ,

Thank you for all your info !

I have a one last question if you don’t mind.

If I’m traveling to Jungfrau, Interlaken West (boat ride ) on a Saturday. Will it be crowded ?

Or it is better to travel on a weekdays ?

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2017 at 8:04:20 #861898

Ooh that’s hard to say for June as tourists are starting to come!

I would think still that weekdays would be a little less busy than weekends – but it may not be enough to be that noticeable! Jungfrau will get very busy starting in mid to late June typically.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch + boat Interlaken to Thun from Bern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.