Jungfraujoch from Wengen sold out 2 months before?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2016 at 1:38:15 #809096

Hello,

I am planning to travel to Jungfraujoch in early June 1 or 2nd. I tried to check the tickets for the ride up on jungfrau.ch and they show as sold out. Are they really sold out this early? What are the options? Would there be tickets if I plan to buy them at the wengen train station?

Ramesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2016 at 11:14:48 #851565

I assume what you saw on the website is seat reservations have sold out coz Summers are the peak time people visit Switzerland. If you have a ticket or Swiss Travel Pass, you can still board the train (in respective class – 1st or 2nd) but won’t be assured of a seat. You need to stand until someone gets off.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 May 2016 at 15:01:15 #851566

I wouldn’t worry about it. Tickets rarely sell out (see here). It’s indeed just the seat reservations that may have sold out, but even that does not mean there won’t be seats left as they won’t sell all the seats online. This may even be a technical error as their site showed an error message, not a booked out message, when I tried your date.

The general approach to such trips is not to book in advance as the weather makes or breaks the experience. Only tour groups with a fixed itinerary should book in advance, but if you’re flexible you can just wait until the day before or the same morning, watch the weather forecast, and decide whether you want to go up or not. You can buy your ticket the prior evening if you want to be on the safe side.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch from Wengen sold out 2 months before?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.