Jungfraujoch tickets – where to buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2015 at 8:51:29 #808014

Hi

Am I able to buy tickets to Jungfraujoch at Interlaken Ost station? While researching, I came across this website: http://www.jungfrau.ch /en/tourism/travel-information/tickets-rates/interlaken-ost/fares-for-individual-travellers/

However, I’m a bit confused regarding where my starting point is, and hence how much I would need to pay. Based on the wonderful information I found in myswissalps.com, I know I can go to Kleine Scheidegg via Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. And from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch.

I’m wondering,

1. should I purchase tickets from Interlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch (CHF204.40)?
    2. Or can I use my Swiss travel pass for Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg travel, and only buy tickets from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch (CHF124)?
    3. Or use Swiss travel pass for Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and buy tickets from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch (CHF183.6)?

Appreciate your expertise as before.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 October 2015 at 9:00:06 #846433

Hi Etosy,

With a Swiss Travel Pass, you only need tickets from Wengen to Jungfraujoch, and either back to Wengen or to Grindelwald. You’ll get a 25% discount. The rest of the trip is free. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page to find such details: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity. You can buy the tickets at any staffed rail station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2015 at 9:21:32 #846434

Oh! So glad I asked!

Sorry, but still slightly confused. Based on the SBB website, I see that there’s a direct train from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg. And given Wengen is a station along this route, does it mean I should buy tickets from Lauterbrunnen? Otherwise, I should stop at Wengen and purchase a ticket to Jungfraujoch?

Is the Jungfraujoch ticket from Wengen CHF170 per person, before discount?

Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 October 2015 at 9:30:37 #846435

Hi Etosy,

You can simply go to a ticket desk (e.g. Interlaken Ost), show your pass, and explain where you would like to travel. They’ll sell you the right ticket. Whether the train is direct or not is not relevant. You just pay for the legs not included in the pass. The price in your case is indeed CHF 170, minus 25%.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2015 at 10:22:19 #846436

Perfect! Thanks Arno… glad I check with the experts!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2015 at 2:29:14 #846437

Hi Arno

I noted your post on the 70% discount to Titlis and Gornergrat, both of which I’ll be visiting during my trip. However, I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me to get those tickets. Appreciate if you could shed some light.

Mt Titlis:

Normal ticket price is CHF89 per person (return ticket). Hence with a Swiss pass, I can purchase it at 50% discount at CHF45 per person (return ticket). As I’m based in Singapore, the exchange rate is approx. CHF1 to SGD1.6 (conservative estimate). Hence approx. SGD72. Based on the raileurope website, the ticket to Mt Titlis with 70% discount is SGD78.

Gornergrat

With 50% discount, it would be around CHF43 per person (return ticket), hence around SGD69. The 70% discount ticket is SGD60, slight savings.

Am I reading the 70% discount information incorrectly? or is my information regarding the tickets price wrong?

Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 October 2015 at 8:07:43 #846438

Hi Etosy,

As for Mount Titlis: the price of a normal ticket is indeed CHF 89, but this does not include the Ice Flyer. That’s an additional CHF 12, and there are no discounts on that. So it total it’s CHF 101, or CHF 56.50 for Swiss Travel Pass holders. That’s about SGD 82.

As for the Gornergrat ride: it’s CHF 86, or CHF 43 for Swiss Travel Pass holders, about SGD 63.

I’ve not compared to the Singapore dollar before, and we seem to use slightly different exchange rates, but indeed you only save a little extra with the current exchange rate.

I’d recommend to have a look at http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-peak-promo-7406. Their prices are in Euro, but all in all lower: Titlis is € 46, about SGD 72. Gornergrat is € 35, about SGD 55. So you save more there. The Swiss Travel Pass is a bit cheaper there too, please see http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82. The disadvantage is that shipping takes up to 8 business days through them, so do order in time.

When would your trip be, by the way?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2015 at 10:31:15 #846439

Thanks Arno! So I can buy the Swiss pass, pass to Titlis and Gornergrat via the Europe railway pass website?

My trip is in December, so 8 business days shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll reach Zurich on 6 Dec and leave on 20 Dec (will be in Sweden in between for 5 days).

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 October 2015 at 12:13:41 #846440

Yes, you sure can. Please see the links in my last post.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch tickets – where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.