Jungfraujoch to Scuol and other train questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 15:10:39 #812778

Thank you for all the wonderful answers you have given me and others.

We are planning on one of spending the day on Jungfraujoch trip and then taking a train to Scuol. How long to get from Murren to Jungfraujoch? How to get from Jungfraujoch to Scuol?

If weather doesn’t permit Jungfraujoch trip, how to get from Murren to Scuol.

Can you tell me the most scenic train ride from Geneva to Kandersteg.?

Again, thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    29 July 2017 at 15:30:08 #867566

For Geneva to Kandersteg you will have to take an IC train; Geneva>Lausanne>Montreux>Martigny>Sion> Brig> Old Lotchberg route>Kandersteg. The entire route has great views. When taking the Lotchberg train sit on the left side facing forward. The train rises up along the side of the mountain above Visp and you see a great view down the Rhone Valley before you go into the old Lotchberg tunnel (the route you actually just rode on at the bottom of the valley).

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    29 July 2017 at 16:24:30 #867567

Regarding Jungfrau to Scuol, wow, it is basically a two day trip if you want any real mountain scenery. For one day travel, the Swiss timetable has you going back up to Bern and Zürich and then down toward Chur to Klosters and through the Vereina tunnel to the Engadin Valley in about 7.5 hours. Also, without looking at the route in detail, I would bet all the connections are 10-15 minutes or less so you live on the train. You would be making a long sweeping arc across the entire north and east parts of the country. It would take two days to take the more scenic route on the MGB/Rhb (the GEX route from Brig to Reichenau/Tamins) so you go over the Oberalp Pass, Landwasser Viaduct, Albula line, etc. That would still take most part of a day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 16:26:49 #867568

Thanks..we are looking for a direct route..we will have been hiking for weeks before..just want to get there…

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    29 July 2017 at 16:35:00 #867569

7.5 hours is the “direct” route. There is no easy way to get from here to there. You have to get back to Interlaken Ost before you even start any fast trains.

Annika
    7103 posts
    29 July 2017 at 16:45:39 #867570

Hi noribf,

The timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble will help you out with these questions. It allows you to find the duration of your intended trips. I agree with jlovda that getting to Scuol is too much for a day trip from Mürren. You’ll have to spend one or two nights in the Scuol area to actually enjoy the surroundings. Note that there are plenty of (non-hiking) alternatives a lot closer to Mürren, such as boat rides over Lake Thun or Lake Brienz, the Trümmelbach Falls, Aareschlucht, Ballenberg Open Air Museum, a city visit to Lucerne or Bern, and so on. Please see myswissalps.com/bernes eoberland/activities for ideas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 23:16:10 #867571

Thanks..We were spending three nights in Scuol to explore the area. Would you suggest staying in Pontresina? Is it easier to get to?

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    30 July 2017 at 1:11:08 #867572

Pontresina is practically the same distance as Scuol from where you are coming from. Chur is a bigger city but is the gateway to the Graubunden Canton. If you are coming from Zürich, Landquart (the stop before Chur on the train) is where to would transfer to to get to Klosters and the Engadin Valley (Scuol). From Chur you would take the train through Tiefencastel over the Landwasser Viaduct to Filisur, through the wonderful Albula line with the famous circular tunnels to Samedan and Pontresina. That is a wonderful ride, believe me. I should be honest and say that in 20 years I have never stayed in a hotel in anywhere other than Zürich but have been on these routes 8-10 times. My personality is such that I am constantly in motion; “the voyage is the destination.” I have never strayed more than a few km from any station except for some postal bus rides and have never hiked any trails. I come for the trains and see the scenery through the train windows. I hope this helps more than it confuses you.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch to Scuol and other train questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.