Is Junior Rail Pass best choice for children age 7

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2017 at 18:59:13 #810621

We are planning a trip in Mid August 2017. I have children who are age 7 . During my research for the tickets for Jungfraujoch and Mt. Titlis for Children of age of 7 it says if they have the Junior rail pass which is 30 Francs then they would be free . Is this correct ? Or am i missing something.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 January 2017 at 14:54:53 #858239

Hi TweetyBird, thanks for joining us!

Yes, children would travel for free to Titlis and Jungfraujoch with the Junior Travelcard. Please find validity details here.

Please note that it’s probably not the best option for your children. If you have an STS rail pass, which is highly recommended since you’ll be visiting Titlis and Jungfraujoch, you can get the free Swiss Family Card that also allows free traveling for kids.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2017 at 4:57:38 #858240

Hello Annika,

Firstly let me say a big thank you to you and you husband for the wonderdul website !! It has helped me tremendously to plan our upcoming trip in Mid August 15 until the 24th. I will be travelling with my husband , 2 kids age 7 and my mother in law 73 and father in law 79. Below is the Itenary I have planned. Could you please tell me whether it would be good for the senior citizens ? Also we plan to travel around taking the swiss rail pass , by using trains, buses and boats.

Day 1 Arrive in Zurich to Alpanch, Obwalden to the rental place( for all 7 nights )

Day 2 Lucerne- Pilatus(Steepest Cogwheel ride) Lion Monument, Chapel Bridge and Lake Lucerne

Day 3 Rhine Falls – St. Peters Church and Lake zurich

Day 4 Jungfrau –

Day 5 Bern – Montreux ,Gstaad and adelboden

Day 6 Lugano – Swiss Miniature and The Chocolate Factory

Day 7 Mt. Titlis – Sarnen

Day 8 Back to Zurich take flights back home

Also will the swiss rail pass and the junior pass be available at the Zurich Airport ? Also could I email you the rental address we plan to live so you can tell help me whether it is close to the train station to be convenient for the kids and senior citizens.Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2017 at 9:03:19 #858241

Hi TweetyBird,

It’s hard to say how your in-laws will fair on this itinerary as it depends on how active they are. It doesn’t look like you have any big hikes planned on this trip?

Day 5 gives me some concern as it would be a long day. What brings you to Bern to start the day? Perhaps a trip on the Golden Pass panorama train from Luzern (local German spelling) to Montreux would be a nice option? It will take you through Gstaad as well.

Its best to be flexible on your itinerary for Jungfraujoch, weather changes quickly and dramatically there and you may like to check the forecast each morning and go the day that looks best for the area.

While most people find it easier to buy Swiss rail passes online you can buy it at rail stations as well such as Zurich airport; but of course you must deal with wait times depending on the line at the office.

Take a look here for rail pass prices and sellers!

We can certainly check the address of your accommodation and help you with where it is located.

I hope this helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2017 at 19:41:46 #858242

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for the quick response.Thank you so much for the suggestion will surely change it as per your recommendation.

1. I am a bit confused here as we will be buying the swiss rail pass and will get the family card for both my kids age 7, will they be able to travel free all the way to Jungfraujoch and Mt. Titlis?

2. so I wont need to buy a junior rail pass or any tickets for visiting both the mountains ?

3. Also where can I email the address of the apartment as to where we plan to stay?

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 January 2017 at 20:22:29 #858243

Hi TweetyBird,

1. Yes, they don’t need tickets and travel for free even to those places.

2. No, you do not need the Junior travelcard. It is only for people without a Swiss Travel Pass or any other Swiss Travel System pass.

You can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and enter the age of all travelers. Then tick Swiss Family Card for the kids. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the passes (no delivery fees) within a few business days, so you can print them at home.

3. You can best post your question in the Accommodation forum.

• The thread ‘Is Junior Rail Pass best choice for children age 7’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.