Junior Travelcard - can I buy online?

Junior Travelcard - can I buy online?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
SallyW
SallyW
8 posts
Mar 23, 2016 - 3:18 PM

I may be going mad, but I'm sure I read that you can buy this card online. However, I have followed all sorts of links on various sites, and can't actually find a link to follow to do this. I only found a sentence that says you can buy these at a railway station. The problem with that is that our journey starts at Basel Airport. We simply want to do a return journey as we will be skiing, hopefully! I can see how to buy the adult tickets. For little difference in price it looks as though I can get a one-day child travel pass for each journey, and that looks simple to buy. Any drawbacks with that if no-one can tell me how to buy the Junior pass online?

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Mar 23, 2016 - 3:38 PM in reply to SallyW

Hi SallyW,

You can buy it online along with some of the adult passes. Which adult pass will you buy? We've discussed several options in your other thread.

SallyW
SallyW
8 posts
Mar 23, 2016 - 9:06 PM in reply to Arno

I was just going to buy 2 adult return tickets, normal price, as that seems to work out cheaper than the Swiss transfer pass, even including the price of the Junior Travelcard. Am I right to think the Junior card is acceptable to use alongside adults with these tickets, rather than with some type of pass? If so, I can't work out how to buy it. If not, should I go with the other idea of the one-day child travel passes?

Arno
Arno
7722 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2016 - 8:50 AM

Hi SallyW,

In that case you'll have to buy the Junior Travelcard locally, along with the regular tickets. I don't know of another way. It will work alongside the adult tickets. The one-day passes work as well. It's a matter of doing the math: be sure to list all of the (cable car/train) trips you plan to do while you're in Engelberg. In many cases it pays off to at least have Swiss Half Fare Cards. In that case you don't need to buy a Junior Travelcard or one-day passes as you will get a free Swiss Family Card. All of that can be purchased online and printed at home through www.swissrailways.com/ en.

SallyW
SallyW
8 posts
Mar 24, 2016 - 12:26 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks, that's helpful. Looking forward to seeing Switzerland on Saturday!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016