Kids – Allmendhubel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2012 at 13:31:05 #805095

We will be in Switzerland with our children and two grandchildren (7 & 10) at the end of June. We’re looking for some activities for children and I’ve seen where you can go from Murren to Allmendhubel and have lunch, play on a playground and then hike a little. Has anyone done this and do you recommend it? Any other recommendations for kids 7 & 10 would be appreciated. Thank you. Love this web site. Maureen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    6 April 2012 at 17:37:07 #835494

Hi Maureen,

I’m not any more that familiar with attractions for children in this region. But I remember our kids were fond of Heimwehfluh (not too far from Interlaken West railway station)

Maybe you have allready found more information about Allmendhubel .

Will your grandchildren be impressed by the beauty of nature? If so, I recommend the Trümmelbach waterfalls near Lauterbrunnen, ore the Aare Gorge near Meiringen.

And then, you could find out whether the St. Beatus Caves (Beatenbucht), the Open Air Museum Ballenberg (near Brienz), or the Blausee (near Kandersteg) would appeal to you all, and can be fitted into your schedule.
    I just want to mention these options because our children loved all of them when they were the age of your grandchildren. (Take care, maybe your grandchildren get addicted to Switzerland, or the Jungfrau region!)

Have a beautiful stay there!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2012 at 21:27:39 #835495

Hi Maureen, though we have never had children with us on our trips to Switzerland we have seen other people’s children enjoying all Wandermann’s excellent suggestions. There is a small play area at Allmendhubel and a very nice place for lunch. The views are splendid from there and if the children have cameras they will enjoy getting some good shots. The walk along the lake shore from Spiez to Faulensee is interesting because there are carvings along the route – there are even more at Oeschinensee (near Kandersteg). If you take a train ride from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne there is the superb Swiss Transport Museum which is fantastic for children and could fill a cloudy day when mountain tops are less appealing! There is an interesting glacier museum in Lucerne as well. At Kaiseraugst (near Basel) there is a very well presented Roman Museum with among other things a replica Roman villa. Hope you enjoy your stay. Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2012 at 23:24:08 #835496

Thank you both for your reply and for your suggestions. I am familiar with some places you mentioned and others I will definitely check out. My husband and I have been to the Berner Oberland area several times but never with children. Our goal is to make it a very special and memorable trip for them. Switzerland is so beautiful and there are so many wonderful outdoor activities and we just want to be sure to keep the kids in mind as we make our plans. Again thank you both. Maureen

• The thread ‘Kids – Allmendhubel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.