Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen – hike or cable car

• jansparkle
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 July 2017 at 21:34:06 #812766

Hi, we are 4 weeks away from our 3rd visit to Wengen. I have a few questions but my first one is…..we are completely terrified of the Mannlichen cable car so have never been up the top.

We manage to go on most of the others around Wengen and Murren but never this one. Is it an idea to walk up the path from Kleine Scheidegg ? Is it enjoyable to walk up or is the incline to steep and we just should close our eyes for a couple of minutes on the cable car ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 1:39:20 #867504

Hi jansparkle –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps. You are not the only one who likes Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

It is my favorite town in the region, as well.

My suggestion is that you should close your eyes, or, go to Grindelwald and use the cableway upwards with smaller cars. Of course, that might be worse…not sure. If you can ride the cableways up to Mürren, this one should not be all that much harder. (Easy for me to say….;-) )

You can go in the “wrong” direction, as you suggest, but , then, you still have to ride the cableways back down…unless you turn around and walk back the “right” way. Or take a very long downhill walk to Wengen or Grindelwald ( or, Alpiglen, perhaps) on steep trails.

If you go from Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen you have a modestly uphill walk…about 180 meters elevation change, at 2000 + meters elevation, in about 3 or 4 km. Plenty of people walk it in that direction. It does not have the nickname “The Grannies’ Trail” for no reason. You will see Swiss grannies with their hiking boots going uphill at a brisk pace. Tourists…not so brisk. But, it is easier to go downhill at that elevation, unless you are accustomed to the “thin” air.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&X=16 1212.06&Y=638893.67&zo om=6

However, what you miss completely if you walk away from the Eiger, even if you pause every few seconds and turn around to look, at the cost of time and a sore neck, is the psychological effect of having the Eiger approach you and tower over you as you walk toward it. You really want to have it in view constantly as you approach it.

It is compelling.

The attached image shows the trail as it nears Kleine Scheidegg, and a magnified crop from it, showing hikers that are only visible as specks in the full image.. It tells you just how overwhelming the Eiger is. (Yes, I know the image is grainy. It was taken a few years ago with a medium called “film.” 😉

Slowpoke.

jansparkle
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 July 2017 at 11:29:24 #867505

Thankyou so much for the reply and welcome. Well it looks like we better just suck it up and close our eyes and try not to cry like a baby infront of the other passengers, and take the cable car from Wengen.

We live in Australia but this is my favourite part of the world. Its like my eyes cant get enough of it. I am in awe every time we visit.

Will let you know how we go 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 14:07:33 #867506

Hi Jansparkle –

Although those things don’t bother me a lot, I do remember that this one feels quite solid. Not a lot of pylon supports that cause the car to swing and sway. Maybe none, or perhaps one that you pass over slowly as you pull in to the Bergstation ( mountain station; top).

Reward yourself for surviving the ascent with a nice cuppa at the Männlichen restaurant before you walk. 😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 July 2017 at 21:09:17 #867507

Hi Jan,

You may already be “full bottle” on Wengen, but may still find this http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim interesting.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 22:44:40 #867508

Hi rockoyster

It’s got to be good if we both recommend it! 😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 July 2017 at 22:58:09 #867509

Note to self: Pay more attention when reading other’s posts! *blush*

• The thread ‘Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen – hike or cable car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.