Konkordiahuette

• jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    16 December 2013 at 10:07:52 #806223

Anyone been up the glacier from Marjelesse lately? Looking to sort out if this is a route a man can do on his own with no more than the usual risk to life and limb. I’ve found a gpx route and read some mention it shifting and of unstable moraines.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

lbiggs020260
    Participant
    26 posts
    19 December 2013 at 7:03:53 #839437

I walked down the glacier from the Jungfraujoch to the KonkordiaHutte and then on to the Marjelesee with a mountain guide a couple of years ago in September

The guide commented how the glacier is changing daily – some steps he had cut two days previously had moved by the time we arrived. Ice cover was also unstable in places – I fell into a snow covered crevasse quite high up which was covered in snow!

The walk definitely needs technical equipment – rope, ice axe, crampons etc., and unless you have glacier experience I would suggest a mountain guide too.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    19 December 2013 at 10:33:37 #839438

I read a word about walking down from Jungfrau Noch. I think they described it as, “as pleasant stroll”. Probably meant to be humorous. I’d like to hear more about your experience. Takes equipment and a guide. Fair enough. Are you a climber to start with? Did the organizer provide the equipment? How long did it take? How big was your group and what did it cost you. Was is it worth the time and money? I don’t think this is on for me anyway as the best time for my purposes would be Oct 8th and Konkordia Hut looks to close before then. Slowly slowly.

lbiggs020260
    Participant
    26 posts
    9 January 2014 at 4:38:55 #839439

Hi

You can get all the information from http://www.grindelwaldsports.ch/en/aletsch-glacier-hike.html

Hope that helps – if you have any questions when you have visited that site, I’d be happy to try to answer them

Laurence

• The thread ‘Konkordiahuette’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.