Lake Geneva Regional Pass vs Swiss Pass

• Moonbeam
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 August 2011 at 6:40:18 #804584

Hi.
    I’m due to travel to Switzerland for a week in September with a party of 3 other adults. We will be staying in the Valais area.
    We will get the train from Zurich to Montreaux with the view to including the Golden Pass from Luzern to Montreaux. For the rest of the time we will be spending the majority of the week in the Valais region doing day trips although would like to take a trip to Zermatt and do the Gornergrat trip and Glacier 2000.
    I do not know whether I should be getting an eight day Swiss Pass or whether the Regional Pass would be better. Could anyone advise what the most cost effective pass would be?
    Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 August 2011 at 6:00:44 #833800

Hi Moonbeam! Considering the trips you want to make, an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass for 3 people would be more convenient than the Lake Geneva Regional-Pass. The Swiss Saver Pass will cover the (long and expensive) trip from Zurich to Montreux, the trip to Zermatt (with discounts to the Gornergrat), the trip to Glacier3000 up to the valley station and discounts up to the summit, and so on. Some of these trips are outside the validity area of the Lake Geneva Regional Pass, or they’re discounted only instead of for free. Large parts of the Valais region (everything east of St. Maurice) aren’t included either. So the Swiss Saver Pass offers the flexibility and freedom to go wherever you want on all days of your stay. If you want to know for sure which pass turn out to be the cheaper one, you would have to make rather detailed calculations. I hope this helps you decide!

Moonbeam
    Participant
    5 posts
    11 August 2011 at 2:06:32 #833801

Hi Annika
    Many thanks for the details in your response about the Swiss Saver Pass – I have had a look at the calculations as you suggested and it definitely looks as though the Swiss Pass will give us flexibility and value for money. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 August 2011 at 10:52:08 #833802

You’re welcome Moonbeam! Have a great trip.

• The thread ‘Lake Geneva Regional Pass vs Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.