Lake Lucerne boat trips scenery differences

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2017 at 17:14:26 #810579

was wondering if someone was familiar with the ferry ride to from Lucerne to Alpnachstad as compared to the boat ride from Lucerne toVitznau? I know one is 30 minutes longer then the other, I’m mainly asking about the difference in scenery. We are starting to contemplate whether to go to mount Rigi or mount Pilatus on June 1, now that Pilatus is 100% covered with the Swiss Travel Pass.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 January 2017 at 9:51:31 #858062

Hi cos24,

The lake has a pretty weird shape (see the map on this page) and you would have to make 3 trips to see all of it. While the entire lake is beautiful I like the part to Vitznau slightly more than the branch to Alpnachstad. After Vitznau it gets even more impressive if you take the boat all the way to Flüelen.

Although the Alpnachstad boat ride can easily be combined with a trip to Mount Pilatus, any combination is possible. You could visit Mount Pilatus first and then take a boat trip to Vitznau or further.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 12:48:46 #858063

Thank you. How specifically would you suggest that we visit Mount Pilatus first and then take a boat trip to Vitznau?

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 January 2017 at 18:33:58 #858064

I would decide the order based on the weather: you need a clear sky to fully enjoy Mount Pilatus. In general the mornings are better for peak visits, but you really need to check the forecast the prior evening as it can very well be the other way round too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 19:30:31 #858065

OK, but I really was asking if I should take the train from Lucerne to Alpnachstad and train back to Lucerne and then ride the boat to Vitznau from Lucerne? Or take the boat from. Alpnachstad to Vitznau? Or some other way…

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 January 2017 at 20:30:43 #858066

I don’t think there’s a boat from Alpnachstad to Vitznau. I would just return to Lucerne after visiting Mount Pilatus. The page I linked to before provides details, including a map of the Pilatus trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 1:43:47 #858067

Hi COS24

“should I take the train from Lucerne to Alpnachstad and train back to Lucerne and then ride the boat to Vitznaufrom Lucerne? Or take the boat from. Alpnachstad to Vitznau? Or some other way…”

These links can help, you will have to spend some time with them:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?pos=685888,217536&z=4

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

There are several routes for the lake boats. Off hand, I think Arno is correct, but checking the details can probably give the answer.

Also, ask the tourist info office in Luzern.

Slowpoke

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    17 January 2017 at 17:10:54 #858068

Hi,

A quick look at the SBB timetable shows regular summer boat connections from Alpnachstadt to Vitznau with only one change of ship usually at Verkehrshaus-Lido. If you look under “Advanced Search” you can filter for ship only connections.

You can go up one side of Pilatus and down the other. For what you have in mind I suggest up via Kriens and down the other side to Alpnachstadt then take your lake trip to Vitznau. From there you can return to Luzern by boat or bus with an option for train part of the way. The whole trip is on your Swiss Travel Pass.

By the way, the Swiss Travel Pass may be a new name but in Switzerland you’ll often hear it called by its old name of Swiss Pass. That’s now a different thing for locals. It’s easy to get confused!

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 17:47:32 #858069

Wow, thank you for the specifics. Would I need to go on the SBB website to find out the bus timetable to get back to Lucerne from Vitznau?

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    17 January 2017 at 17:56:25 #858070

Hi,

You’ll certainly find it there. Happy travelling.

Andrew

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 18:07:50 #858071

Hi COS24

Let us know if you have trouble understanding the timetable. I encourage you to learn to use it.

As you have already learned, it can be very helpful for planning travel.

You can get back to Luzern from Vitznau by boat with reasonably frequent service, by bus to Küssnacht am Rigi, thence train to Luzern, or by bus to Brunnen, and train to Luzern…or boat from Brunnen. Same boat would stop at Vitznau.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Lake Lucerne boat trips scenery differences’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.