Langnau in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2015 at 8:24:07 #807054

Hi

Me and my girlfriend are travelling to Langnau in May (30-4 -4/5) to visit friends living there. We were planning to go on a hikking trip in the area. Any tips on trails that are open? Both hikes just for a day and overnight is of interest. Maybe staying a night in some cabin would be nice.

Anyone with experience of the area who can give us some pointers (our friends didn’t know much I’m afraid as they haven’t lived there long).

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 April 2015 at 21:39:58 #842316

Langnau in May-

Great idea. Which Langnau?

Langnau im Emmental

Langnau am Albis

Langnau bei Reiden

I hope you mean Langnau i.E, because I have hiked in the area extensively over the last 30 years . There are also good trails near Langnau am Albis,, but I have no experience there, and Langnau bei Reiden has made me look at the map. Never been there. I’ve been in Dagmersellen (nearby) and the area looks like typical Emmental country. Rolling hills, modest “mountains.”

All of the Emmental is full of hiking trails, and inn – to – inn hiking was, and still is, a way that the Swiss enjoy them. Unfortunately, the inns are less frequent than they used to be. Many have closed.

I used to stay at the Hirschen in Langanu i. E. for many years. Have not been there for a while, but Herr Weiermann always ran a very good kitchen.

The Hirschen in nearby Trubschachen had deteriorated a lot last time we went there a few years ago, but the museum across the street is nice.

I have not got time at the moment to expand on the opportunities, but, if you mean Langnau i. E., let us know and I’ll start posting some ideas. I have a zillion photos of the area, but many are on film and require a bit of work to get them digitized. I can grab a few that are handy on my hard drives, as follows:

Just for an idea, Trubschachen is the next village along the train line from Langnau i. E.. There a pleasant. level short walk along the river between the two villages, which lets you take a look at some typical Emmental farms. If you walk up the hill by Trubschachen, and northward along the ridge top, you can see things such as what I photographed in the attached images, including the village of Trub.

The

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 April 2015 at 9:59:02 #842317

.<<“Any tips on trails that are open? Both hikes just for a day and overnight is of interest. Maybe staying a night in some cabin would be nice. “>>

Assuming that you mean Langnau i. E., most, if not all trails in the area will be open. Perhaps the highest point is the Napf, at about 1400 meters.

<<“Anyone with experience of the area who can give us some pointers”>>

Try this for a starter, if it is truly Langnau i.E.

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/hiking-in.html?phrase=Napf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2015 at 13:41:07 #842318

Hi Slowpoke, thank you so much for great advice!

It is Im Emmental we are going to so I was happy to read your recomendations! Any more would be highly appreciated. Inn- to Inn (or cabin) hikking will probably suit us best to avoid travelling with the tent and also for comfort. Will keep reading and plan later tonight

/John

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 April 2015 at 15:11:38 #842319

<<“It is Im Emmental we are going to so I was happy to read your recomendations! Any more would be highly appreciated. Inn- to Inn (or cabin) hikking will probably suit us best to avoid travelling with the tent and also for comfort. Will keep reading and plan later tonight”>>

Don’t have time for details now.

Work these links:

http://www.grenzpfad.ch

and

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/multiple-day-hike-border-trail-napfbergland.html

The mountain hotel on top of the Napf is worth a stop. They have dormitories.

Cabins are for the high Alps; inns are how Swiss avoid carrying their camp when hiking in the Emmental.

I like the luxurious ones, but they come in all grades of comfort, from dormitory rooms ( called Matratzanlager, or may just Anlager) through private rooms with the toilet and shower down the hall, to comfortable bedrooms and first rate restaurants, like the Hirschen in Langnau.

http://www.hirschen-langnau.ch/index.php?L=1

If you go up to the Napf, go up from Trubschachen via Fankhaus and Mettlenalp.

More on that later.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 April 2015 at 15:36:58 #842320

Some more links-

may be redundant

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/luthern-bad-mountain-lodge-napf.html

and

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/multiple-day-hike-border-trail-napfbergland.html

and

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-065.html

And – for some ideas – http://www.swisstrails.ch/PDF/Napfbergland_E.pdf

I’m trying to find a link that I had and lost which lists tens of inns in the area. Simple list with ho pictures.

More later.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2015 at 11:03:17 #842321

<<” It is im Emmental we are going to so I was happy to read your recommendations! Any more would be highly appreciated. Inn- to Inn (or cabin) hiking will probably suit us best to avoid traveling with the tent and also for comfort. Will keep reading and plan later tonight”>>

John –

I was working on some details when my browser decided to make trouble and I lost a good bit of my post.

As I was working on it, I found a couple of questions keep coming back to me:

1.- Do you use paper maps?

2.- Can you read German? Or, for that matter, do you speak even a little bit of German?

I’m going to expand on your questions about inns with some examples in another post, and also about maps for planning , as you are doing that now, and for hiking, in another post. They’ll be related to each other. If you can deal with German, it will be useful as I get into fine details or link to sites that don’t come in English. I’ve answered questions about those topics enough that I’m going to compose something off-line that I can easily re-use ( in a word processor with autosave 😉 ) and then post them.

Meanwhile, take a look at the Swiss Topo web site, which describes different kinds of paper maps as well as a mobile phone app. There are GPS data available, too.

swisstopo.admin.ch/internet/ swisstopo/en/home.html

That is the English version.

Click on the “Products” tab, then the maps choice from the menu on the left.

That will give you a good start on maps for planning and maps for hiking.

[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2015 at 11:52:19 #842322

Hi Slowpoke

Again, thanks for all the info!

1. I will try to get some maps, either online or if my friend (living in Rüegsau) can help me get good ones.

2. My girlfriend speaks a little bit of “highshool german”

Seems as we will only have three days (two nights) to hike depending on how our planetrip will turn out.
    So Trubschachen -> Napf can probably be done in one of these days and then stay at the Inn/Hotel at the top, right?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2015 at 12:54:48 #842323

Added in edit-

Sorry that the links are not active. They were when i posted the message, but, i think that they became plain text when I edited the post, and I figured that you could pate them into your browser. So, i did not re-link them. ;-(

<<“Again, thanks for all the info!”>>

You are quite welcome.

Will you stay in Rüegsau? Or, Langnau?

<<“1. I will try to get some maps, either online or if my friend (living in Rüegsau) can help me get good ones.”>>

Later I will post some material about maps.

Wait until you get there to buy a few. They are readily available in every village, where the local stores usually carry a few for the region. They usually have the 1:25,000. I also know of a stationery store in Sumiswald where you can get them.

Will you come in through Zürich? In the major cities there are stores that I can identify that carry the complete range of maps. In Zürich, it is Barth Bücherei in the Hauptbahnhof (very convenient) or Orell Füssli on the Bahnhofstrasse.

<<“2. My girlfriend speaks a little bit of “high school german””>>

Alles gut.

I found this list of inns and other good stuff in the Emmental:

emmental.ch/en/taste/restaurants-traditional-inns/

I can’t tell how they are organized exactly, but I know many of them. Here are samples of different degrees of luxury:

A restaurant with a few rooms-emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/gasthof-baeren-rueegsau/action/offer-Show/Offer/

A really nice place, good kitchen:emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/hotel-hirschen-langnau-1/action/offerShow/Offer/

Very comfortable, very well-maintained, very historical, kitchen is good, not great. We stay here periodically:

emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/landgasthof-baeren-sumiswald/action/offer-Show/Offer/

A country hotel n Trub some rooms have shower and toilet, other have the facilities down the hall:

emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/landgasthof-loewen-trub/action/offer-Show/Offer/

Historical – from the 1400’s – may not have rooms, maybe just a restaurant:

emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/gasthof-zum-baeren-trubschachen/action/offer-Show/Offer/

A place to walk to from the Napf. Spectacular view of the Alps in clear weather. Kitchen is OK:

emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/hotel-luederenalp-wasen/action/offer-Show/Offer/

We stay here in Affoltern at least once a year, often more. Superb kitchen and wine cellar; great view of the Alps on a clear day. If you see them, it will be a special event. Not that far from Rüegsau:

http://www.sonne-affoltern.ch

A very Swiss hikers country inn. Dormitory. Really clean, small, simple place. at the foot of the Napf on the route from Trubschachen. Check the tab for Uebernachten. Note the extra charge for a shower, or for heat in the winter time in the dormitory:

http://www.mettlenalp.ch

And, of course:

http://www.hotelnapf.ch

<<“Seems as we will only have three days (two nights) to hike depending on how our plane trip will turn out.
    So Trubschachen -> Napf can probably be done in one of these days and then stay at the Inn/Hotel at the top, right?”>> Easily. You might want to walk further than that.

More on that point in another post.

Since you will be in Rüegsau, you should go up to the Lueg, near Kaltacker, on a clear day.

Lueg is dialect for Aussichtpunkt (Outlo0k point). This one has special view of the alps.

I’ll add a couple of images later – got to run.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2015 at 13:21:15 #842324

Images referred to in the previous post are attached. The Trachselwald panorama is from a Lueg (look out point) above Sumiswald. The other three show the view from the Lueg itself at Kaltacker (near Affoltern) and from Affoltern

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2015 at 17:09:07 #842325

<<“Again, thanks for all the info!”>>

You are quite welcome.

<<“1. I will try to get some maps, either online or if my friend (living in Rüegsau) can help me get good ones.

….

Seems as we will only have three days (two nights) to hike depending on how our planetrip will turn out.So Trubschachen -> Napf can probably be done in one of these days and then stay at the Inn/Hotel at the top, right?”>>

Here is some information on those points. I composed it offline, and pasted it in, so I would have it on file.. Unfortunately, the live links became plain text. You’ll have to copy and paste them into your browser.

———————————————————————————————————————————-

Hiking Maps of Switzerland and The Napf

This is a discussion of the hiking trails and maps available for hikers in Switzerland, followed by some details of hiking around the center of the Emmental region, which is a modest mountain named the Napf (1410 meters altitude) in the center of the region.

Maps –

There are maps published by private companies, such a Kummerley+Frey, and those from the Swiss federal government. The governmentissued maps, are, IMO, the best.

The link to Swiss Topo gets you all kinds of information about those federal Swiss maps.

swisstopo.admin.ch/internet/swisstopo/en/home.html

There is a mobile phone app, which my Swiss friends use, and there are paper maps, which I use. Mobile phone coverage is almost universal inSwitzerland, and certainly in the Emmental. So, that can be a pretty reliable method. However, I like to spread out a map and lookat options and surroundings, and paper maps are better for that.

On the home page, click on Products, then, at the left,

Maps.

Where to buy paper maps-

The Swiss like to hike, so maps are available in almost every village and town. There are chains of convenience stores (Kiosk, Aperto, and others), which are at almost every train station of any decent size. They almost always have the topos for the locality, usually the 1:25,000. Stationers also carry them.

In large cities, certain book stores carry the full range ofmaps. In Zürich Hauptbahnhof, Barth Bücherei is really convenient. Orell Füssli, a block or so down theBahnhofstrasse is also very good.. In Luzern, Orell Füssli; in Bern Stauffacher, in Geneva, it used to be Payot. Have not been there for a while.

In Zürich –

sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/shopville-zuerich-main-station/shops.html

Look down the page for Alfred Barth AG.

Hiking Maps –

Most hikers hike from 1:50,000 maps, which have green covers. In the past few years, a new series of 1:50,000 maps (Wanderkarte, Hiking Maps) have become available. They are better. They have yellow orange covers, similar to the image attached. They show bus stops (red circles) and they show the signed hiking trails. (Die Wanderwege.) I really like them and usethem all the time.

I have attached two scans to illustrate what a Wanderkarte looks like. It is unusual in that it is a 1:25,000 map with hiking trails (die Wanderwege), etc. and does not align with the national grid boundaries. Most Wanderkarten are 1:50,000 and fit the national grid.

These links explains the Wanderwege:

Only in German and French:

swisshiking.ch/de/wanderwege

In English:

travelingnaturally.blogspot.com/2011/01/wanderwegthe-magic-of-walking-in.html.

There is a more detailed map series, 1:25,000 (brown covers.) Lots of detail. I use them in locations with steep topography, dangerous areas (mountain sides, etc.) or where I am concerned about getting lost. Sometimes I look at the 1:50,000 Wanderkarte and then mark up the 1:25,000 if I am going to hike from it. They show every building, and even very minor paths or trails.

The country has a grid for maps. All of the map series are aligned with the grid. Four 1:25,000 quadrangles fit within one 1:50,000 quadrangle, etc.

However, there are special maps for regions of strong tourist interest, for example. They are usually 1:50,000 and do not align with the grids. For example – the region around the Jungfrau (the Berner Oberland) has its own map. The region around Luzern has its own map.

A few of the special maps are Wanderkarten, and some are even at 1:25,000. There is a 1:25,000 Wanderkarte for the Napf region. Images attached.

The Napf and surroundings

The marked up scan of a small portion of that Napf 1:25,000 Wanderkarte map shows the northern end of the route(s) into the Napf from Trubschachen. The road (bus route) is shown, as well as trails. You will note that I have marked my preferred route up to the Napf from Mettlenalp. It is scenic, and spreads the climb out over a greater distance. Not so steep as the other marked Wanderweg. The short steep climb up the side of the hillfor about 400 meters is not as interesting. The route I prefer also joins the ridgetop Wanderweg (Route 65) that comes up from Trubschachen. The merged routes then pass through Stachelegg before the final climb on a ridge top up to the Napf summit.

Stachelegg is the location of a mountain farm. They sell farm products, cheeses, cold drinks, etc, to hikers. A look at the steep fields nearby show the extent that the Swiss will go to in order to get hay to feed their cows.

Here is a repeat link to the really nice, small, very neat and clean restaurant and small (6 bed, I think) dormitory at Mettlenalp. Worth a stop for coffee, or a snack, just to experience such a kind of place.

http://www.mettlenalp.ch

The nice thing about the Napf Wanderkarte is that is saves money. The Napf itself is almost exactly on the junction point of four quadrangles of the national grid. That means that, whether you get the 1:25,000 or the 1:50,000 regular series maps, you need to buy 4 of them to cover the surroundings. The special map does it on one sheet. It does not range very far from the Napf to the north, only reaching Luthern. In other directions, it is more useful, reaching to towns with train lines. It shows Langnau, Trubschachen, Lüderenalp, Sumiswald, Wolhusen, all of which have bus or train connections. Luthern has regular bus servie every day. Also, Romoos Holzweg (limited bus) and Mettlenalp (limited bus). Those two and Lüderenalp have only a few weekendbuses for hikers. Looks like only on Sundays.

Also, these days, many villages with daily are served by buses in the morning and evening, with gaps at midday. Check schedules. Fewer trips on weekends, too.

Once you are up on the Napf, you have choices for continuing. You can go onward (down) to most all of the above named spots. Lüderenalp is the one destination at about the same altitude, where there is a modern mountain hotel and restaurant with some bus service down to Langnau (Sundays only)

From Luthern, there is bus service out to Hüswil, where there is a train station. If you go down to Luthern, via Luthernbad, avoid Trachselegg. The direct trail goes through a small farm field full of cows. They are friendly, but they also have very active digestions, and you have trouble finding clean grass to walk on.

Take the trail to the east (which bypasses Trachselegg), and which turns off just at the base of the first steep descent from the Napf summit, IIRC.

A Sample Hike –

To give a sense of scale and times, here is a sample hike which we took on one trip.

Parked our car and stayed overnight at Lüderenalp.

emmental.ch/en/event-manager/page/hotel-luederenalp-wasen/action/offer-Show/Offer/

That hotel has 20 double bed rooms with private toilet/shower, 5 rooms with the facilities down the hall and wash basin in the room, and two larger rooms with more beds.

Caught the early bus down to Langnau, on Sunday. Nowadays that is at 1020; then it was at about 930, IIRC. I think we might have changed buses at Langnau. Continued by bus to Trubschachen and then in to Mettlenalp. On other days, the bus only goes as far as Fankhaus. Walked up from Mettlenalp to the Napf, about a 400 meter climb, in a bit less than two hours. Got there at around noon or 1 PM. Had a nice lunch at the mountain hotel on top of the Napf. Good cafeteria; many plates cooked to order, then your number is called for you to pick it up at the counter. We always get the Emmentaler Wienerli (good) and the Kartoffelsalat (almost always unusually good; one year they had a substitute cook or something, and it was merely OK.).

We then worked off our meal and beer by hiking for about 4 hours over to Lüderenalp to the west. Got there at about 5:30 or 6 pm, including a stop for liquid refreshment at Oberi Lüsshutte. It was a hot day, the trail has a few ups and downs, and we needed a break.

Had a pleasant meal on the terrace, looking at the Alps in the distance. Got up on Monday, drove down to Wasen and on to our next destination. For a listing of a whole lot of Emmental hotels/inns/restaurants, check:

emmental.ch/en/taste/restaurants-traditional-inns/

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2015 at 17:10:47 #842326

The images that I tried to attach to the previous post seem to have been a problem.

I’ll try them one at a time, and see what happens

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2015 at 17:17:07 #842327

here is another. May be too large…..It would not go.

I’ll shrink and hope it remains legible.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 April 2015 at 22:05:09 #842328

<<“or if my friend (living in Rüegsau) “>>

Near Rüegsau_

One day in May 2010 when I was staying in Affoltern and wanted to take a not too long easy walk with some time constraints before meeting friends for dinner, I parked my car at Ramsei Bahnhof. That is about 4 km (two train stops) from Rüegsau and about 10 km from Langnau.

I walked from Ramsei to Lauperswil and then to the station at Neumühle, where I caught the train back to Ramsei ( about 12 km.). I passed through Rüderswil. There are some nice farm houses and other sights. One in particular was memorable. In Rüderswil, there was a monument. There were fresh flowers on it, and it was well maintained. The monument was in honor of Klaus Leuenberger, leader of the Peasants War in the early 17th century. He was executed in Bern in 1653.

“He died for the freedom of the country and its welfare.”

The Leuenberger family is prominent in Swiss politics even now, and some live in the Emmental, I believe. Fresh flowers after 350 years!

I thought you might be interested in these snapshots. Very typical Emmental farm country.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 April 2015 at 9:29:03 #842329

Thanks for sharing all these details Slowpoke! Very useful!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 April 2015 at 13:51:20 #842330

[quote]Annika said: Thanks for sharing all these details Slowpoke! Very useful![/quote]

Annika-

Thanks.

I really enjoy the Emmental. The hills are within my capabailities, if I walk like a Slowpoke. ;-). And, since I included some pictures of the Alps, which always look nice when you can see them from the Emmental ridges, the message qualifies for this My Swiss Alps forum. At least, from a distance.

I noticed that you posted a link to Swisstopo , for Hoppies in his message about level walks in Wengen. So, IMO, that makes you an expert on Swisstopo. 😉

I was trying to using the tools in that nice map in Swisstopo to mark the locations where I stood when I took those pictures of Alps. I was able to use the marking tool for that and for a route for a walk that I’m suggesting, but I found that the overlay of text and symbols did not scale exactly with the map as I zoomed in and out. So, for example, the underline for a name on the map moved up or down just a bit. Or, more. Trail marks along a Wanderweg shifted off the trail.

Do you have the same experience? Do you know how to prevent it? Conceivably, it might be related to my video card, but I doubt it.

The only “work around” that I know is to always zoom the map to exactly the same scale by looking at the scale mark or identification. That is somewhat limiting.

TIA for any help.

Added in Edit-

It works better in Internet Explorer…Firefox sometimes has trouble with map graphics.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 April 2015 at 7:41:01 #842331

<<“my friend (living in Rüegsau) “>>

Johnny- Here is an easy circular route walk based on Rüegsau. It has lots of Emmental scenery, and some places of special interest. It includes the Lueg between Affoltern and Kaltacker (scenic outlook point) from which I took one of the four pictures I posted earlier. It has several different places for food and toilets. It gets started with a bus ride up the hill from Rüegsau to Affoltern im Emmental. It returns via train from Burgdorf to Hasle-Rüegsau Bahnhof, on the same train that runs to Langnau, so you can base the hike at Langnau or Rüegsau. From Hasle-Rüegsau Bahnhof, you can ride the bus or walk to Rüegsau.

The latter part can be shortened and completed by bus to Burgdorf, followed by train to Hasle-Rüegsau. That bus can be caught at different points, shortening the latter part if needed. Or, you can walk 3 km. along the road from the Lueg back to Affoltern, and ride back down the hill to Rüegsau. That road has no shoulders, so be careful if you walk it. Not too much traffic, at least. I don’t recommend it, because the latter part of the described hike between the Lueg and Heimiswil is really nice and has some special items. But, you can do it if you find that jet lag has undermined your stamina, or the rain starts to pour down.

The first section, from Affoltern to the Lueg is about an hour and a half (maybe a bit more) at a steady pace. It can take longer because you will want to stop and look a bit. You will want to look at the Show Dairy in Affoltern before you start, watch them make Emmentaler cheese, and perhaps use the toilets or get a bite to eat. Souvenirs, too. Along the way, it passes a field where the Swiss play a game called Hornüssen (hornets). Maybe you’ll see one. If so, use the side path through the woods for safety…it is marked, in German, with a warning sign as you near the playing field. Things fly through the air….fast.

youtube.com/watch?v=GdIHOV6VGNU

The second part, from the Lueg to Heimiswil, is about as long, essentially all downhill, and has some special features, so it definitely will reward some pauses for sightseeing.And, at the end, Heimiswil has some interesting things to look at.

Add in time to stop and eat, and time to watch cheese being made at the Show Dairy in Affoltern , and you can be on the road 5 or 6 hours. Maybe an hour longer if you have to wait for the return bus at Heimiswil, or the bus up the hill to Rüegsau at the end. Also, add time to get to the walk by train from Langnau, if you do that.Buses run once an hour, but there may be a midday gap in the schedule. The total time could be shorter if you make every connection with little waiting.

It could be a nice walk on a first “jet lag day.” Only one slightly strenuous part – a short climb on the preferred of two options sections north of Eggerdingen.

Maps – The text can be used with paper maps, or the online map at the SwissTopo web site. swisstopo.admin.ch/internet /swisstopo/en/home.html

I have prepared two overlays at different scales that can be used with the SwissTopo map to see the whole route, and to show more detail in the latter part. They are *.KML files,and at least one way to use them requires that you be able to browse to them, so you’ll probably have to download them. They are attached as *.zip files.

To use them… one at a time, I think, open the map at the right side of the SwissTopo home page. Center it on Rüegsau, and zoom to expand the scale to 1000m (lower left corner.)

Then using the menu available for the map, open “Tools”, and use “Import KML file.” A window will open to let you do that. Use the smaller file first (#1). It covers the whole hike and shows the bus routes. (I used bus symbols to show the bus routes, but I did not place them at actual bus stops.) On that map overlay, I also placed a star near Sumiswald. I took the large panorama of Trachselwald and the Alps posted earlier from that point.

This is the first time I have used this tool. It seems to work for me. I did have some problem with the overlays not scaling with the map zoom, when I created them in Firefox. Seemed better in Internet Explorer, but that is why I suggest a particular scale for the first look. Start with 1000 meters setting on the map scale for the first (smaller ) file; 250 meters for the larger but more detailed file, which covers a smaller area on the map.

I have a lot of pictures from various places along the route, which I shall accumulate and post in the next day or two., when I have a few minutes.

Questions are welcome.

==================================================================

A Day in the Emmental ,Based in Rüegsau or Langnau

This describes a circular route walk or walks in the Emmental, starting and finishing at Rüegsau. Part of it is on the train line from Burgdorf to Hasle-Rüegsau, and the same train continues to Langnau. So, the journey could start and finish at Langnau or Hasle-Rüegsau station.

The text is supplemented by maps on the SwissTopo website, for which I have developed two overlay *.KML files attached to this document as zip files. When imported with the Import Tool in the menu of the SwissTopo map of Switzerland at the right of the home page, the KML files add some route markers. They are much better than words for visualizing the hikes.

swisstopo.admin.ch/internet /swisstopo/en/home.html

However, using topo maps or Wanderkarten (Hiking Maps) could be a substitute. The Wanderkarten show the bus stops.

In general, the route is:

1. Take the hourly bus from Hasle-Rüegsau Bahnhof via (or start at ) Rüegsau to Affoltern in Emmental. (Restaurants, inns.). Not sure, but i think the stop there for the village “Dorf” might be the end of the line.

[Corrected in edit –

The bus is #30.471 (which doesn’t really matter, but that is for completeness.) It takes 12 minutes from Hasle Rüegsau Bahhof to Affoltern. The only stop in Affoltern is “Dorf” (village.) It continues on down to the train station at Affoltern-Weir where it then turns around and goes back up the hill, it seems.. So, it is not the last stop ( except for the 7:25 AM bus on weekdays, which only goes to Affoltern. ;- )]

2. Short walk to west from bus stop to Emmental Show Dairy. ( Food, toilets.)

3. Across the road from the Show Dairy, a road, which is also a Wanderweg, goes north to Eggerdingen.

4. At Eggerdingen, a road to the left (west) leads to a short stretch of road, from which a turn north leads to and through Junkholz. Junkholz is a “two farmhouse village.”

5. An alternative at Eggerdingen is to continue to the next intersection north of Eggerdingen, then turn left (west) and follow that Wanderweg down into then up through a wooded ravine, then up to Juch (which is a “one farm village.”) From Juch, proceed to Juchholz, and turn right (north) to join the other route. This is a slightly more strenuous route, but avoids the road. I believe that this stretch north of Eggerdingen to the Lueg is part of the Jakobsweg.

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-04.html

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/etappe-0866.html

6. Follow the road up the hill from Junkholz, to where it bears left 90 degrees (west) at a small shed with a field for playing “Hornüssen”

youtube.com/watch?v=GdIHOV6VGNU

and then onward to the Lueg. Great views from here on a clear day. Pause to look.

7. Continue past the Lueg, down the hill, bear gentle right (west) on the paved road after the parking area (which is also a bus stop on the line to Burgdorf past Heimiswil) in the direction of Kaltacker. After 200 meters, pass the Landgashof Lueg on the left. (Food, rooms, toilets if you buy a coffee or soda.) Bus also stops there. Elapsed time walking from Affoltern maybe one and one half or two hours.

8. If desired, stop the walk here. Take the bus to Burgdorf, and train to Hasle Rüegsau. or, walk to Affoltern ( 3 km.) Road has no shoulders, be careful.

9. Much preferred, however, is to walk to the west end of the Landgasthof Lueg parking lot and pick up the Wanderweg toward Heimiswil which goes through the woods with part of it (a short part) on a rough downhill trail, avoiding a stretch of road with narrow shoulders. That short stretch of trail deserves footwear with ankle support. Mountain bikers use it, so it is not all that bad. Then,the Wanderweg goes along the edge of a field and returns to the road for a short distance, then turns left about 1. 5 km. before Kaltacker down a narrow road through Heimisbach and Gerstler, down through the woods, out onto the main street of Heimiswil, and to an interesting building. (Toilets.) Walk time from Landgasthof Lueg is 60 to 90 minutes at an easy pace.

10. That is a very nice scenic country walk with some special Emmental farmsteads and other features. When I bring friends from the USA who are not hikers, they always tell me many times afterward what a great walk it was.

11. At that point in “downtown” Heimiswil, a sharp right turn downhill leads to the bus stop for Burgdorf. (Convenience store, snacks.) Sometimes I park my car at the Landgasthof Lueg, walk this trail, then catch the bus back up the hill to my car.

12. Or, a little further south, in the lower village part of Heimiswil, is the splendid Gasthof Löwen( from the 1300’s). Closed some days. Stunning interiors, good kitchen. Business has been slow, not sure how they are doing. I almost always eat there when in the area. No rooms, just meals. Bus stops there, too.

13. Catch the bus to Burgdorf, then train to Hasle-Rüegsau, and onward to Langnau or Rüegsau.

Buses mentioned run once per hour. May have midday break in schedule.

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 April 2015 at 12:16:04 #842332

@Slowpoke: Sorry, I don’t use the marker tools, so I can’t help with that. Good to hear that it works in Internet Explorer. Another browser can really make a difference with the more advanced options of any website.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 April 2015 at 12:35:02 #842333

Annika-

I have just tried to add two attachments to my previous post to Johnny about a walk in the Emmental. They are the map overlay *.KML files.

I could see that they were accepted – as they were the first time I tried when I posted the message….but they have not appeared.

Here they are – I’ll try to attach them to this message to see if they will appear.

Added in edit – they did not appear. What have i done wrong? Are they filtered by your software?

One more try.

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 April 2015 at 13:08:35 #842334

Hi Slowpoke,

The site only allows attachments of up 1 Mb and of the type .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .pdf, .docx, .xlsx or .zip. So kml will be refused unless you zip the file first.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 April 2015 at 14:23:33 #842335

I’ll zip it.

Thanks

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • The thread ‘Langnau in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.