Last 3 days on trip – Lucerne or Zurich?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2015 at 18:41:26 #808030

Pros and cons? Been in Basel 3 days, Wengen 4 days and Montreux -Lake Leman area for 5 days. Last night will be in Zurich for plane back to US. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 October 2015 at 0:56:14 #846507

I’d spend time in or near Luzern, even though Zürich is my favorite city in Switzerland to stay in.

Zürich rewards slow steady learning and acclimatization, in my opinion.

Luzern is spectacular from the moment you get a look down the lake and also at the old town. Too many tourists, of course, but less so at this time of year.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Depending on your flight time, Luzern is not out of the question for a place to sleep the night before you leave. Trains twice per hour….1 hour or 1 hr 11 minutes from Luzern to Zürich Flughafen..

And, I always stay in downtown Zürich, even for morning flights.. Something like 6 to 8 trains per hour from Zürich main Station to the Airport….a 10 to 20 minute ride.

Airport shuttles from a hotel near the airport can consume similar time, especially if they run on a schedule and you miss a bus.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2015 at 16:39:38 #846508

Thanks. I think that is what we have decided. Booked a,night at airport hotel as flight out is early morning. Easy for us. Now, to find a place to stay in lucern. We like airbnb and vrbo homeaway type places. Thanks!!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 October 2015 at 17:06:19 #846509

Hi Debbie,

You can take a look at myswissalps.com/ zurichairporthotels for airport hotels. As for places in Lucerne, I would recommend to create a new forum thread and include some additional information like budget, number of travelers, preferred location, etc.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 October 2015 at 17:19:11 #846510

<<” Booked a,night at airport hotel as flight out is early morning. “>>

It is certainly more comfortable feeling knowing that you are near the airport.

After your 10th trip out of Zürich Flughafen, you’ll realize that it is as convenient or more to stay in downtown Zürich, and enjoy the town the night before.

For example, in the hour between 5 AM and 6 AM there are 6 trains to the airport from Zürich main station, taking mostly about 10-14 minutes, with one taking 21 minutes.

If you are flying a Star Alliance flight, you can check in for the flight in the train station at the airport, one escalator up from the trains. Typically, this saves several minutes and luggage schlepping…..

However, you don’t want to be worried about those details on your first trip. 😉

Slowpoke

<<“Now, to find a place to stay in lucern. “>>

Since the Hotel Schiff closed, I’ve tended to stay outside the city. You’ll see its facade along the riverside.

It was relatively cheap, views of Pilatus were superb, rooms were clean but not updated, and the kitchen was great.

I really can’t offer suggestions.

Here are the hotels recommended by this website:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/hotels

Since I’d like a place I can count on in Luzern, any feedback you can provide would be appreciated.

• The thread ‘Last 3 days on trip – Lucerne or Zurich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.