Laundry service and car usage in Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2017 at 14:39:55 #812887

Hi

We will be traveling to Switzerland by 19th and staying there for about a week, as a family of five with three kids so really want to travel light.

We will be staying in Grindelwald, i will really appreciate some handy information about if laundry facility shops available there, how expensive and cheap it’s or better to pack enough stuff for that many days.

Furthermore, as i have read that Grindelwald is a car free zone so does that mean we cant use our car there at all (in case one has a car rented out and reach Grindelwald by car) as we were planning to. Otherwise how one can transport the luggage from train to hotel and back. I might sound silly asking this but this question is big for me as traveling with kids one needs to worry about such petty issues ☺️

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2017 at 17:22:08 #868056

Hi Travelblues and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t have specific laundry information in Grindelwald – perhaps the hotel has it? It won’t be cheap though if it is there. I think Lauterbrunnen would offer more services.

Grindelwald is not car-free so you are ok with your car (it is the villages of Murren and Wengen that are car-free).

Lucas

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    9 August 2017 at 0:11:15 #868057

There used to be a self-service laundry or Waschsalon on the main street near the Firstbahn (First gondola). I would email the tourist office and ask. They are very responsive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 0:42:40 #868058

Hi Travelblues,

>> Furthermore, as i have read that Grindelwald is a car free zone so does that mean we cant use our car there at all (in case one has a car rented out and reach Grindelwald by car) as we were planning to.

You can drive to Grindelwald, and drive around in the village. Most of the roads just lead to farms, houses and accommodation of various sorts. You can’t drive any further up into the mountains or to any other villages without returning the way you came. Only the PostBus can go all the way over the Grosse Scheidegg, as the top part is closed to normal traffic.

>> Otherwise how one can transport the luggage from train to hotel and back.

In the car-free villages such as Wengen and Mürren, the hotels have small electric vehicles that they use to provide a pick-up service from the station on the day of arrival and a drop-off service on the day of departure.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 8:03:08 #868059

Thank you so much for your replies , im really grateful .

• The thread ‘Laundry service and car usage in Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.