Lausanne-Gruyères/Broc-Grindelwald in 1 day

• ChuntyBunty
    Participant
    9 posts
    27 January 2020 at 22:26:57 #825023

Hi all! Firstly, THANK YOU for all the great advice on these forums. This site has been super helpful in planning our trip! Here’s our situation. We are planning to travel from Lausanne to Grindelwald on 13 Jun 2020 (Saturday) and then return on 17 Jun 2020 (Wednesday). Either on the way there or the way back, we’d love to stop to visit the Maison du Gruyere and visit Maison Cailler. This seems like an ambitious day, but I think it is possible with the schedule below, using the SBB timetable:

Option 1: Lausanne > Gruyeres/Broc > Grindelwald on 13 Jun (Saturday)

• Train from Lausanne to Gruyeres (8:44-9:59)
    • Tour gruyeres, see the cheese factory and castle, wander about (allow 4 hours)
    • Train from Gruyeres to Broc-Fabrique (14:00-14:28)
    • See the Maison Cailler (allow 3 hours)
    • Train from Broc-Fabrique to Grindelwald (17:32-20:38)
    • Check into vacation rental

Option 2: Grindelwald > Broc/Gruyeres > Lausanne on 17 Jun (Wednesday)

• Train from Grindelwald to Broc-Fabrique (8:18-11:28)
    • See the chocolate factory (allow 2 hours)
    • Train from Broc-Fabrique to Gruyeres (13:32-13:59)
    • Tour gruyeres, see the cheese factory and castle, wander about (4 hours)
    • Train from Gruyeres to Lausanne (18:00-19:16)
    • Check into hotel in Lausanne

My questions:

• Do you think 4 hours in Gruyeres and 2-3 hours in Broc is sufficient time to visit the factories and walk around town? Should we try for more or less time at either stop?
    • Are there any options to store luggage at the Gruyeres or Broc-Fabrique train stations?
    • Is either of these a considerably better option, considering time of day we’d be in both Gruyeres and Broc?
    • We’ve decided it’s probably too ambitious to try to do this AND the Golden Pass in one day — this isn’t a question, I’m just letting you know 🙂 We may try to do the Golden Pass on whichever day we don’t do this plan.

Thanks for the advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2020 at 6:55:31 #928905

Hello ChuntyBunty,

Nice to see you know how to handle the timetable (https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable), nice work!

I believe it doesn’t make a large difference on which day you fit in this long, cultural Swiss day, whereas, the cheese making process is usually more interesting in the mornings, there’s more to see.

Find helpful input to your questions in below threads of the forum:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/luggage-storage-atnear-gruyere
    http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-from-lucern-to-geneva-via-gruyere
    (slightly different destinations, but full of helpful information)
    http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/connection-from-brocfabrique-to-maison-caillerchoc

Best,
    Steph

ChuntyBunty
    Participant
    9 posts
    28 January 2020 at 13:58:48 #928906

Thanks for the helpful info and links, Steph! I’ll do some additional research on these. We are so excited for this trip — our first time to Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2020 at 1:36:51 #928907

The Golden Pass (MOB railway in truth) is one way you can use to get to Gruyeres, so it may not be “too ambitious” to do that.

If you depart Lausanne at 08.21 via Montreux you would be on the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Montbovon which is where the MOB railway meets the TPF (Fribourg Regional railway) which is the company that serves Gruyeres and Broc. Then you would go by TPF Montbovon – Gruyeres (arrive 10.00)

You would have to leave Broc 1 hour earlier (16.32) to get to Grindelwald at 21.08. This would give you the ‘other half’ of the GOLDENPASS line from Montbovon to Zweisimmen

ChuntyBunty
    Participant
    9 posts
    29 January 2020 at 2:01:13 #928908

Thanks 1960man! We really wanted to do the Golden Pass but I thought it might be tough to do that in addition. I’ll see if we can fit it all in! If not, we might do the Golden Pass when we take the return trip on 17 June. Do you think it’s worth reserving a 1st class seat on the Golden Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2020 at 2:10:14 #928909

Personally I’ve never reserved a seat on any Swiss train in 59 years, but the MOB railway have significantly changed their rolling stock in the last couple of years, so at peak tourist times it might be wise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2020 at 20:04:05 #928910

Hi ChuntyBunty,

Although seat reservations are not compulsory on the Golden Pass we recommend it on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets.

Ildiko

ChuntyBunty
    Participant
    9 posts
    31 January 2020 at 23:06:05 #928911

Thanks for the advice! I’ve seen lots of different recommendations about best side to sit on the golden pass and not all specify which direction you are traveling 🙂 I think we may take it from Interlaken to Montreux on our way back. In that direction, do you have a preference on which side?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 January 2020 at 23:41:49 #928912

The right hand side is marginally favoured but it really doesn’t make much difference. See http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere.

In September my wife and I were two of only 8 passengers in a 1st Class Belle Epoque carriage. We were able to move from side to side at will.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 February 2020 at 2:40:14 #928913

You’ll find some observations on the “Cheese and Choccie” expedition in this trip report.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2020 at 3:12:52 #928914

LIke most Swiss railways the scenery is nice on both sides and the side changes often.

The MOB is very nice ride, but it is not the most spectacular ‘white knuckle’ ride – so just sit back and enjoy the view. At one time it was recommended to sit on the right side for a good view of the lake as you descend to Montreux but the lineside has been built up by residential development now, so in fact the better view of the lake is from the main SBB line Palézieux – Lausanne

• The thread ‘Lausanne-Gruyères/Broc-Grindelwald in 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.