Lauterbrunnen from Grindelwald and trek to falls

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2016 at 11:11:09 #809727

We are planning to be in switzerland (lucerne and grindelwald) from 4th evening to 8th morning in August. we have swiss travel pass. We are planning trekking in Mount Rigi , Mt. Titlis on the first 2 days.My questions are:

1) how do we travel from Grindelwald to lauterbrennen? we would like to go on a trek to the falls. i am confused at looking at the map . if some one can help out – i would like a clear step by step answer on how to do the journey and trek. Can we cover Murren and Wengen also on the same day?

2) Are these travels and cable car rides (if there are any) covered under swiss travel pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    20 July 2016 at 22:12:43 #854422

Hi!

Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen is easy. You can take a train to Zweiluetschinen, then change there for the train to Lauterbrunnen. The trip takes about 35 minutes, but is pretty dull. A more interesting way would be to catch a train to Kleine Scheidegg (takes about 30 minutes), change trains there and travel to Lauterbrunnen (takes about 50 minutes). This second train travels through Wengen, so you could jump off there and have a look around. All up, the slower route takes about 90 minutes, but it’s a lot more interesting because you are always within sight of the Eiger, Moench and Jungfrau. I can’t remember which pass is best for these trips, I’ll have to leave that for the better informed.

There are a couple of Falls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The Staubach is quite close to town and only take a few minutes walk to reach. That’s the waterfall you see in all the photos of Lauterbrunnen. The Trummellbach are the famous falls that have the tunnels following the water course. Quite spectacular! The tunnels are very noisy, cold and very wet, so make sure you take your wet weather gear. It’s a dead flat walk, but if you’re in a hurry, take the bus. It should say “Trummellbach” or “Richtung Stechelberg” (Direction Stechelberg)

From Lauterbrunnen you can take the cablecar to Gruetschalp, then a short train trip (narrow gauge, I think) to Muerren.

So, to recap, go from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg, change for Wengen, hop off there and have a look around, take the train to Lauterbrunnen, then the bus to Trummellbach, return to Lauterbrunnen, take the cablecar to Gruetschalpand and the Narrow Gauge to Muerren before heading back to Lauterbrunnen. This time, instead of returning to Grindelwald via Wengen, take the faster train via Zweilutschinen.

If I can make a suggestion – consider leaving out Muerren. It is a very pretty village and well worth a visit, but if you try and pack too much into your day, you may not enjoy it so much. It’s up to you.

I’ll post a “Fly Through” animation of the excursion later.

Cheers

Alan

Arno
    15482 posts
    21 July 2016 at 7:29:39 #854423

Hi anaghahk, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass includes free rides on the trains to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen, as well as the cable cars to Mürren. You’d better have a look at the map so you can see all details: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2016 at 8:38:10 #854424

Thanks Alan Price. that is a clear step of instructions.

1) Alan, from the map, i persume the the cable car from stechelberg to schilthorn and the one from Schilthorn to Murren would be discounted. but the other rides are appearing free.

2) from the yellow lines there, i understand the there are bus services from Lauterbrennen to Schilthorn and stechelberg. And they would also be free.

Thanks

Arno
    15482 posts
    21 July 2016 at 8:50:52 #854425

Hi anaghahk,

1) Stechelberg to Mürren is free, Mürren to Schilthorn is discounted.

2) There is no bus to the Schilthorn. Only to Stechelberg, and it’s indeed free with a Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen from Grindelwald and trek to falls’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.