Lauterbrunnen to Jungfrau Q”s

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2011 at 19:56:58 #804655

My husband and I are staying in Lauterbrunnen for two nights and have a couple questions about our day trip to Jungfrau. This is what I would like to do, but I need to know if it is doable…

Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg via Wengernalp railway, transfer to Jungfraubahn train to get to top of Jungfrau. I know this part is feasible. My question is when we come back down can we hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen on the Panoramaweg Trail, then take the cable car to Wengen, and hop on a train for the short trip to Lauterbrunnen? All my travel books talk about taking this trip in the opposite direction, so I can’t figure out if we could do it this way or not.

Also, can someone clearly spell out which of these routes would be free, or discounted (and what discount, 25% or 50%) if I have a Swiss Pass?

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 August 2011 at 5:51:10 #834065

Hello coley1916, and welcome to the forum! Yes, your plan is perfect. It doesn’t matter whether you make this trip one way or the other. I assume the hike is often described from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg instead of the other way around, because you’ll have better views walking in the direction of Kleine Scheidegg. But for your trip, Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen is the better choice, and views are still great (just turn around to take a look at Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau every once in a while ;-)). In most cases, it’s best to visit the Jungfraujoch first thing in the morning, because skies tend to be clearer in the morning than in the afternoon. But you can best check the weather forecast the evening before (or the same morning) and then decide. The timetable can be of help for your further planning.

You’ll find a map under the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ at the Swiss Pass page. Just zoom in to the Interlaken region to find out which routes are for free and which are discounted. In short: traveling up to Wengen and Grindelwald is for free. From there, a 25% discount applies to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch. The Männlichen cable car is discounted by 50%.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2011 at 16:34:08 #834066

Thanks again, Annika, you were very helpful!

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen to Jungfrau Q”s’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.