Swiss Travel Pass in Lucerne and Grindelwald best?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 20:35:12 #812962

Hello all

We will be staying in Lucerne for 2 nights and want to go up the mountains of course. Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis all look amazing..we want views and hiking but want to do some “fun activities ” also.

From there we will be heading to Grindelwald and want to experience the same there . I believe the First mountain has some fun motor carts and bikes…….our confusion is the Swiss travel pass and what it includes. If we are staying in Grindelwald. how do we get to the Jungfrau ? does the pass give us a discount? How about all the cable cars and trains we take up and down mountains? Very confusing….We have a total of 7 nights in Switzerland, ending our stay in Zurich. The rail pass is expensive , not sure if its worth it if it doesn’t give discount on many things, Thanks all

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 1:35:29 #868340

Hi JSully,

>> We will be staying in Lucerne for 2 nights and want to go up the mountains of course. Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis all look amazing..we want views and hiking but want to do some “fun activities ” also….From there we will be heading to Grindelwald and want to experience the same there . I believe the First mountain has some fun motor carts and bikes…….

The “fun actitivies” cost extra, as they are not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

>> our confusion is the Swiss travel pass and what it includes.

You can download a map from the link below, showing what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

As explained in the legend on the map, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted. Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line. There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Dashed red lines on the map are railway tunnels, and are on routes that are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

>> If we are staying in Grindelwald. how do we get to the Jungfrau ?

The train goes from Grindelwald to the Jungfraujoch via Kleine Scheidegg, where you change trains for the final leg. You can come back via Wengen for a change of scenery. This page will tell you all you need to know:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

>> does the pass give us a discount?

The Swiss Travel Pass gives you free travel to Grindelwald (or Wengen), and a 25% discount between Grindelwald (or Wengen) and the Jungfraujoch. This is shown on the validity map.

>> How about all the cable cars and trains we take up and down mountains?

Some are free, most are discounted by 50% for Swiss Travel Pass holders. The validity map will show you what applies.

>> Very confusing….We have a total of 7 nights in Switzerland, ending our stay in Zurich. The rail pass is expensive , not sure if its worth it if it doesn’t give discount on many things

If you will be out and about every day on trains, buses, boats or cable cars, an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is probably a good option for you. However, there is only one way to be certain, and that is to have a detailed itinerary and add up the cost of every train, bus, boat and cable car you are likely to take, and compare the cost of buying separate tickets each time with the cost of using one of the available passes. This page might assist you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 20:13:27 #868341

having a hard time finding train times for swiss travel pass. I obviously not looking in the right place. is their schedule of departure and arrival times?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 20:22:55 #868342

Thank you for the information regarding Chiasso to Lucerne ……its quite a savings as we will have the travel pass. I do need to coordinate from Como to Chiasso, but I’m having difficulty getting departing train times from Chiasso. Help!

Gene0710
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 August 2017 at 21:43:11 #868343

Hi we are travelling to llucern from zurich airport, 1adult & 2children both age 15. We are planning to go to mt pilatus, mt titlis & grindlewald.i just want to ask if i get a swiss travel pass or a half price pass.will be in lucern for 3days & 2 nights. I would appreciate if you can advised me which travel pass to get,to save money. Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 2:46:23 #868344

Hi Gene, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your post is not relevant to the current topic 🙂 Would you be kind enough to start a new topic with your questions, and people here will be happy to help you!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 2:59:50 #868345

>> having a hard time finding train times for swiss travel pass. I obviously not looking in the right place. is their schedule of departure and arrival times? … I do need to coordinate from Como to Chiasso, but I’m having difficulty getting departing train times from Chiasso

You can plan all your trips within Switzerland, and from Como, using the Swiss Timetable, which you will find here (together with information to help you use it):

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

By the way, I was puzzled about your reference to the Italian part of your trip, because it is not mentioned anywhere previously in this thread. I found it in a different thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/travel-from-italy-and-from-interlaken-to-grindelwa

It would be helpful if you kept your questions in the relevant thread to save confusion 🙂

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass in Lucerne and Grindelwald best?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.