Light Hiking Honeymoon Couple Bernese Oberland

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    27 April 2015 at 19:55:24 #807141

Hi all,

We would be visiting Bernese Oberland for 4 days for our honeymoon in the first week of October and would like advice on most scenic hiking routes in the region. I have heard a lot about Eiger trail, Gimmelwald and Männlichen but not sure which one of these is the best and most scenic for a romantic setting.

We would like to have a light to moderate hike no longer than 3 hours and like to take a lot of pictures during the hiking.

Please give the complete details on how to reach the hiking starting point, return and return back to the station. We would be staying in Wengen or Murren.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2015 at 1:03:19 #842733

[quote]msra7hm2 said:

Hi all,

We would be visiting Bernese Oberland for 4 days for our honeymoon in the first week of October and would like advice on most scenic hiking routes in the region. I have heard a lot about Eiger trail, Gimmelwald and Männlichen but not sure which one of these is the best and most scenic for a romantic setting.

We would like to have a light to moderate hike no longer than 3 hours and like to take a lot of pictures during the hiking.

Please give the complete details on how to reach the hiking starting point, return and return back to the station. We would be staying in Wengen or Murren.

Thank you!

[/quote]

Those trails are nice but may be closed by snow after mid September.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    28 April 2015 at 3:07:39 #842734

Tell me about the scenic trails then that would be open on 8 October.

Thanks

Arno
    15481 posts
    28 April 2015 at 4:36:08 #842735

Hi msra7hm2,

There’s a fair chance that these trails are still open; but nobody knows for sure until just before. You should check the trail conditions and weather forecast when you’re there. Gimmelwald won’t be a problem for sure. Please see here for trail suggestions. Anything under 2000 m should be fine, but even above that could be no problem at all. In general, the weather for hiking is quite fine until mid October, but one never knows for sure in the mountains.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    28 April 2015 at 5:41:19 #842736

Thank you for the kind link. In your experience, which is the most scenic hike according to what I have described? How is Gimmelwald for hiking? How do I get there ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2015 at 5:51:43 #842737

[quote]msra7hm2 said: Thank you for the kind link. In your experience, which is the most scenic hike according to what I have described? How is Gimmelwald for hiking? How do I get there ?[/quote]

It will be useful for you to understand the lay of the land and public transport, so that you can learn how to get there and orient yourself and make choices once you are there. Among other items, you know where you are starting from.

These two links are a good start:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/ home.html

The SBB ( Swiss Rail) time tables include trains, buses and cable cars.

This map will help you visualize the topography, both in map view and aerial view. Click on the map on the right of the home page.

swisstopo.admin.ch/ internet/swisstopo/ en/home.html

There are good descriptions of several pf these hikes in:

myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/permalink/ cf7HCKDW9mqS6v8AAFcRTQ

The author likes Wengen, Wengen is a good starting point for many hikes. One of the most scenic easy hike s of 2-3 hours duration (including picture taking ) is the walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, described in these articles. Other hikes in the area are described, ranging from easy to difficult.

If it is not snowed in when you are there, it fits your description. The problem is that it starts at about 2200 meters, and, even though it goes gently downhill, it may be above the snow line.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    28 April 2015 at 6:05:31 #842738

How can I know on the day of hiking whether there is snow on Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail? I think I like it, by the way I would be staying in Wengen for 4 days.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2015 at 13:44:26 #842739

[quote]msra7hm2 said: How can I know on the day of hiking whether there is snow on Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail? I think I like it, by the way I would be staying in Wengen for 4 days.[/quote]

1. – Ask the inn keeper or reception at your hotel.

2.- Ask at the base station for the gondola-car lift in Wengen. Or, ask at the Tourist Info office in Wengen.

Both of these places may even have sign posed on trail conditions in the area for that day, there or at the train station.

3.- Look throught the articles I that I linked you to by Kim. I recall that she discusses weather information and forecasts for Wengen and the area.

4.- en.swisswebcams.ch/ webcam/1010222761

Even if the trail is not open, the views from the lift station at Männlichen are nice, and you may be able to walk part of the trail that is not in the shadows. And, the short climb to Männlichen Gipfel, to your left as you leave the lift station, may be open. Great views.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    1 May 2015 at 14:03:21 #842740

I plan to go for hiking 2 to 3 days in bernese oberland, are there also scenic hiking opportunities in lucerne ?? Do you advise hiking in lucerne or oberland is sufficient ??

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 May 2015 at 14:38:36 #842741

There are plenty of opportuinities for scenic hike around Lake Luzern ( Geman spelling; it is a German-speaking region). Start here.

myswissalps.com/centralswitzerland

For example-

wanderland.ch/en/hiking-in.html?phrase=Seelisberg+%28UR%29&sname=&sid=648

and other hikes available by using the tools at Switzerland Mobility-Hiking.

Nice walks on the Rigi.

wanderland.ch/en/ hiking-in.html?phrase= Rigi+Kaltbad

Walk along the eastern lake shore from the city of Luzern, past the transport museum, and look across the lake.

Use the lake boats, which include a stop by the transport museum. (das Verkehrshaus.)

• The thread ‘Light Hiking Honeymoon Couple Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.