Living & touring in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2015 at 18:15:29 #807538

Hello,

I am an American, and I just accepted a position in Leysin. I am interested in figuring out how I can visit Geneva on a weekend once a month, and I definitely want to visit Zurich and some of the other places when I can. I am trying to figure out how I can best do that.

Would I be better off buying a 1/2 off ticket and then buying a ticket to Zurich and Geneva, and do both in a month, and then skip a month, and then do the same the following month?

How can I best see as much of Switzerland while living in Leysin on a budget and with my trips spread out throughout the year?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 July 2015 at 17:13:26 #844384

Congratulations on your job! There’s a train down to Aigle from Leysin, where you can change to the mainline trains to Geneva. Detailed schedules are in the timetable.

The tourist version of the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for one month. There’s also a one year version, but as far as I know you need to be a Swiss citizen to buy it. I’m not sure if you will have a permit or something that also allows you to buy one. It might be worth checking that out. Information can be found on http://www.sbb.ch/en/ travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses/hal f-fare-travelcard.html. For longer trips you can buy an additional day card for unlimited traveling (see our Swiss Half Fare Card page).

If you have a break for more than a weekend you can consider one of the other Swiss Travel System Passes.

Be sure to click the ‘Where to go’ section in our menu to learn about the different regions of Switzerland. We did not list them all yet, but it’s a good start. Hopefully you can visit most of them during your stay.

• The thread ‘Living & touring in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.