Logistics of using Swiss Transfer Pass

• remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    3 June 2013 at 10:18:49 #806047

Hello,
    How does the Swiss Transfer Ticket work logistically? I read all the info on this site and see that the route must be the shortest/obvious route. But is there anything in the system or setup of the ticket preventing me from getting off the train/route at a stop prior to the airport on my return trip?

Also, does the STT include the lift required to get me up to Gimmelwald on Leg 1? Does it include luggage service or is that extra?

I would like to use the STT for the two longest of my travel legs to get the most out of the pass:

• Leg 1: GVA airport to Gimmelwald (87 CHF)
    • Leg 2: Leukerbad to Brontallo (88 CHF) Could I book this as my third leg all the way to LUG airport and get off the train at Ponte Brolla to catch a bus to Brontallo?
    • Leg 3: Brontallo to LUG airport (18 CHF)

I calculated this could save each of us (there are 9 of us) at least 10 CHF each. Not much, but we’re all students 🙂 Any other better suggestions other than buying the legs piecemeal (reserving seats where necessary)?

Thanks!
    Remy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 June 2013 at 13:15:32 #838860

Hi Remy,

You can get off the train to break your trip at any time, as long as you complete the trip the same day. It’s just that you should use the route as suggested by the timetable, without detours. You can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket for Geneva Airport to Gimmelwald (leg 1). You can also use it for Leukerbad to Lugano Airport (leg 2), but not with a detour via Brontallo.

Yes, the lift to Gimmelwald and Mürren is included. Please see the downloadable map at the Swiss Transfer Ticket page. The general rule is that you can reach towns/villages with the Swiss Transfer Ticket, but not mountain tops.

If you do a lot of traveling during your stay, it’s usually more economical to purchase a pass for more days (so a 6-day Swiss Flexi Pass instead of a 4-day pass for example) as opposed to buying an additional Swiss Transfer Ticket. That also eliminates the requirements such as taking direct routes and destinations that need to be airport or border stations.

From September 1, there’s a 2-day Swiss Flexi Pass too. Perhaps that would make sense in your case. Here are the details.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    3 June 2013 at 13:23:37 #838861

Thanks, Arno.

We are mostly hiking the Via Alpina and then staying at an agrotourism spot in Brontallo (dates July 6-21). So, those are the only 3 legs of transit we will need. We designed our trip this way to keep our transit costs under $200 each.

So, I could use the STT return leg Leukerbad – LUG airport and just get off in Ponte Brolla? I understand the detour to Brontallo would not be covered, but so long as it’s possible to get off at Ponte Brolla that’s all I care about.

So if there’s no other pass that’s under $200 then this seems like the right choice:

• STT for GVA – Gimmelwald (leg 1) and Leukerbad – LUG (leg 2, but exiting the train at Ponte Brolla)
    • Individual tickets from Ponte Brolla to Brontallo and Brontallo to LUG airport

If you have other input, I’m open to it. Thanks so much, Arno!

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 June 2013 at 13:39:52 #838862

Hi Remy,

Ponte Brolla is along one of the direct routes, so it’s no problem to get off the train there and continue the trip later on that same day.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    4 June 2013 at 10:25:57 #838863

[quote]Arno said: so it’s no problem to get off the train there and continue the trip later on that same day.[/quote]

Is it okay to get off the train and not continue at all? I assume there’s no extra fee for ending my Transfer Ticket route earlier than the airport if I like?

Also, we need to start Leg 2 from our lodging near Leukerbad at the Rinderhütte which has a lift next to it that is on the map as a dashed black line which says no reduction for the STT. So that would be no reduction (full fare) correct?

Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 June 2013 at 15:57:10 #838864

Hi Remy,

Sure, you can not complete your trip and that’s fine. The Swiss Transfer Ticket indeed does include discounts on mountain transport. If you want that you can consider the Swiss Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisscard.

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 June 2013 at 12:43:59 #838865

Thanks Arno, two more questions on Swiss Card:

Question 1: if we use the return trip up, can we, a few days later, still use the 50% discount? Or is the pass validity over with when you use up your return trip to the airport? Scenario:

• July 17: We use the return trip up from Leukerbad to Lugano airport (but get off the train at Ponte Brolla to take the bus up to Brontallo not using the Swiss Card)
    • July 21: We go to Lugano airport <– can we get the 50% discount on this trip or is the Swiss Card invalid after the July 17 usage?

Question 2: Can any of the passes (Swiss Card, Swiss Transfer…) get us to MXP Milano Malpensa Airport? If not, how close can it get us? There are 3 in our party that will be departing from that airport.

Thanks!

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 June 2013 at 13:03:41 #838866

Hi Remy,

The validity of the Swiss Card ends after the return trip. Any of the Swiss Travel System passes will get you up to the Swiss border (Chiasso).

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 June 2013 at 14:36:02 #838867

Okay, thank you. We have decided on the Swiss Card.

I’ve read all the details and FAQ on raileurope.com and I don’t see anything about how to select your ‘from the airport’ and ‘to the airport’ legs.

We will have to take a train from Geneva Airport to our hostel (Geneve station) at night on July 5, but we don’t want to use that short trip as our ‘from the airport’ trip. So would we just purchase a separate ticket for that leg and then ‘activate’ our passes for our long leg from Geneve station to Murren? If we don’t to use our transfer from the airport on this little tiny leg, then does that mean we cannot get the 50% discount on this first trip from the airport to the Geneve station?

For our Swiss Card first transfer ‘from the airport’ leg:

SBB says that it is recommended that I reserve a spot for our route from Geneve – Murren. But then it says “The following route(s) for the requested journey are available: GENEVE – MÜRREN” but the route only includes the route up until Lauterbrunnen.

– How will I reserve a space on this route to include the part from Lauterbrunnen to Murren?
    – Is the cablecar not included in the Swiss Card transfer from the airport?

Thanks and apologies for redundancy from past posts — there’s no search function on this forum to find similar answers/questions that I could find.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 June 2013 at 14:55:42 #838868

Hi Remy,

The Swiss Card just needs the dates written down on it. Train conductors will check whether you’re traveling the correct route. Just play by the rules and it will be fine 🙂

There’s free transport in Geneva; details are here.

You don’t need reservations to travel from Geneva to Mürren. If trains allow pre-booking you can do so here, but it’s not at all necessary unless you’re traveling in a large group. The cable car is included; see the map on the Swiss Card page.

The search function will be back. In the mean time you can search as explained here. No problem to ask whatever is not clear to you though!

remyo
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 June 2013 at 15:17:06 #838869

Fantastic!

Another question: The group meeting us in Kandersteg during our trip will all be coming from Zurich but one may depart one day earlier than the other 3 people. The Swiss Card is the best option we’ve decided, but if I buy them in a pack of 2-4 does that mean they must travel together?

RailEurope.com gives the option of selecting “Special prices are offered for 2 or more travelers. Is everyone in your party traveling together at all times? When I select “No” it still gives me the discount ($215 per pass) — this is confusing.

If I buy all 4 passes at once and get the discount does this imply that all 4 people must travel together? Or can that 1 person depart a day earlier for Kandersteg without the other 3?

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 June 2013 at 16:37:25 #838870

Hi Remy,

There is no discount for traveling together in case of the Swiss Card. You best not check that option. You’ll get individual cards and everyone can use them as they like.

• The thread ‘Logistics of using Swiss Transfer Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.