Lost in Rail Passes choices!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2010 at 2:32:31 #803903

I’m afraid I’ve got rather lost in the various options and decisions surrounding rail passes – I wonder whether I could give you some information about our trip and ask for any advice you might be able to give?

There are three of us travelling together, two adults and a 5-year-old. Flying to Basel Airport and then by train to Lauterbrunnen where we’re camping for a week. While there we plan to do plenty of hiking but also use the trains and cable-cars, including the big tourist trips up the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn.

With many thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 July 2010 at 10:43:32 #831524

Hello Elgar,

Don’t worry about getting lost, that happens to many of us ;-).

For starters, I am just presuming that are you planning to make (almost) all your trips in the Bernese Oberland and that are you leaving Switzerland again through Basel EuroAirport. If my presumptions are wrong, please let me know.
    All mentioned prices are second class and per person.

Option 1: A Swiss Card, covering Switzerland.
    The trip from Basel EuroAirport to Lauterbrunnen will cost you CHF 66 for a single ticket or CHF 132 for a return ticket.
    The Swiss Card (valid one month, travelling for half price almost anywhere, free travelling on your first trip from and last trip to Basel EuroAirport) would be CHF 182.

A Swiss Half Fare Card, valid one month – travelling for half price almost anywhere, would be CHF 99.

You would save CHF 132,- (transfers Basel-Lauterbrunnen-Basel) with a Swiss Card, and this is more than CHF 83, the price difference between the two mentioned cards.

If you purchase a Swiss Card can view the area of validity, please note that you will get a 50% discount on your trip to Schilthorn and a 25% discount on (between Wengen and Jungfraujoch) on your trip to Jungfraujoch.

Option 2: The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, covering the Bernese Oberland.
    This pass does not cover your transfers from and to Basel EuroAirport, but will give you a 50% discount on travelling in the Bernese Oberland and 3 days of your choice (Pass for 7 days) or 5 day of your choise (Pass for 15 days) of free travelling by trains and cog railways, gondolas and cable cars.
    The price difference between a 7-day Pass (CHF 230) and a 15-day Pass (CHF 277) is not too much, and the extra two days of free travelling might be worth the price difference.
    With this Pass you will get a 50% discount on your trips to Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch.

Option 3: The Jungfrau Railways Pass, covering the Jungfrau Region.
    With this Pass you will have unlimited travel on 6 consecutive days in the Jungfrau region
    and you will also get a 50% discount between Eigergletscher and Jungfraujoch, but no discount on your trip to Schilthorn. This Pass will cost you CHF 200.

This is the best I can do for you, as I don’t know which means of transportation you are planning to use on your trips, but I am rather sure these are the best options.

I can tell you that I have been happy with the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for many years, but that does not mean it will work for you. Viewing the links I gave you may help a lot, and there’s always the Railway FAQ!

Wishing you lots of fun in Switzerland, and please get back to me if I can be of any further help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2010 at 3:54:02 #831525

Thank you very much indeed for all your advice! Yes, we’re both arriving and departing from Basel, and intending to stay and do things around Lauterbrunnen while on holiday. There seems to be so much wonderful walking to do just around that area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2010 at 4:22:41 #831526

Looking at the various options, it looks like if I get a Swiss Transfer Ticket (for CHF127, saving a little bit on the normal return fare) for myself and my wife, then the Berner Oberland Pass is available at a reduced rate. Unless I’ve misunderstood something along the way, I think that’s probably what we’ll go for!

With many thanks.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 July 2010 at 6:03:30 #831527

[quote]elgar said: Looking at the various options, it looks like if I get a Swiss Transfer Ticket (for CHF127, saving a little bit on the normal return fare) for myself and my wife, then the Berner Oberland Pass is available at a reduced rate. Unless I’ve misunderstood something along the way, I think that’s probably what we’ll go for!

With many thanks.[/quote]Hello Elgar, that’s right. With a Swiss Transfer Ticket you will get a 20% discount on a Bernese Oberland Pass (Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland).

And yes, there are many wonderful hiking possibilities and day trips in the Bernese Oberland! 🙂

I wish you a very pleasant stay!

Olga

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    11 July 2010 at 16:17:10 #831528

Hi Elgar,
    Thanks for letting us know what you will go for. To me this seems to be a good choice!
    Enjoy,

• The thread ‘Lost in Rail Passes choices!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.