Lower Engadine

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2012 at 17:23:18 #805670

I hope to spend 3 nights in Lucerne and 2 or 3 nights in Murren with friends. I will have 8 or 9 nights in total. My friend suggested Engadine for the last few nights. I had never heard of it. Seems to be off the beaten track. I think she meant Lower. Would it be feasable and how best to get there from Interlaken? This will be in July or August. Would Lower or Upper Engadine be better?

Where would you recommend staying? I am 62 years with Parkinson’s . Though I am quite mobile I cannot walk far. I need a quiet cheap place to stay in a scenic area.
    Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    23 October 2012 at 13:28:09 #837367

Hello franbemadd. The Engadine is wonderful indeed. The Upper Engadine has more high and snow-capped mountains than the Lower Engadine, but is also a bit more crowded – although this still isn’t much compared to summer tourist hotspots such as the Interlaken and Zermatt regions, in my experience. If you’re looking for a quiet place to stay you can consider Bever, La Punt or Zuoz. From these towns you can easily reach both the Upper and the Lower Engadine. If you find a hotel near a railway station, you can make all your trips by public transportation and you won’t have to walk that much. More information can be found in the Graubünden section.

It’s quite a long trip from Mürren to the Engadine; about 6 hours using the quickest route via Landquart and Sagliains. A slight detour over the breathtaking Albula train line can be made via Chur. The timetable will display all options and details.

• The thread ‘Lower Engadine’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.